thread: Cost of installing a secondhand gas oven - including new gas line!

Mar 2009

Cost of installing a secondhand gas oven - including new gas line!

So my current oven/stove is electric (circa 1984 and a lovely brown)and I hate it. Stove top stews food and oven door doesn't shut properly so I find cooking a chore and frustrating. We are planning a reno but the time line is probably 18months to 2 years away at least. I have been contemplating buying a second hand replacement but want to get gas hotplates - so any ideas as to how much it would cost to connect a gas line and install such?? We have gas hot water and would run the line under 2 rooms but it is a close connection ITMS.....

Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!

We had a plumber quote us to do similar and the gas installation part was going to cost around $400 - $500.

Mar 2009

Thanks MD! Hmm - that may be hard to sell to DH! What did you ending up doing??

Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!

We were thinking of putting a new gas stove + electric oven in but it hasn't gone anywhere yet. I had the plumber out for a different job and I knew he was a gas plumber as well so we just asked.

I guess in your situation, that cost of getting the gas from the existing line to the kitchen will be something you have to pay for, either now or when you get the Reno done. If you get it done now, then that's one less expense for the Reno itself.

Mar 2009

Ohh - I like your thinking! Not quite sure what we will do in the long run as there is a small possibility the kitchen may move but I can see we will still be contemplating things in 15years at the rate we move!