thread: Does your linen cupboard door have to be ventilated ??

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    Sydney

Does your linen cupboard door have to be ventilated ??

We are stimulating the economy on tuesday........im getting a builder to our home to hang 3 internal doors - so as all the doors in our home now match. My linen closet door is one of those old white ones with slats for air - that run top to bottom... - on tuesday the builder will be pulling that down and putting up an internal door there - with no air ventilation spots - do you think this will matter?

Ive never had a problem with smelly linen etc, and would hate to think im going to start a problem i dont want.....anyone know????

Apr 2008

I think you will be fine, I have the same doors as you but have never had a problem with the normal doors. You could always get one of those mould eater things and put it in the bottom of the cupboard.

Jan 2009

I don't have vents in mine and no smell issues here.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jul 2008
    Eastern Surburbs, Melbourne

We have had a ventless linen press for over 25 years and have not had any problems with musty smells. It won't be airtight so this will help.

It is a good idea to put in something to kill the moths every now & then and sometimes I put in a smelly thing just cause I can.

Jan 2004

I don't have a problem with our doors either. It wouldn't be fully air tight. but throw something in there if you are worried. I've put an unopened sachet of fabric softener on the bottom shelf just for the smell. I'll use it when I run out of softener, then grab a new one to throw in the cupboard

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    Sydney

Thanks ladies....i thought so.
    I've put an unopened sachet of fabric softener on the bottom shelf just for the smell. I'll use it when I run out of softener, then grab a new one to throw in the cupboard
    ..legendary idea.....thanks, will be stealing that one....

Oct 2006
    Gold Coast, Queensland

I have unventilated doors and live in steamy qld. Never had a problem with mustiness.
    The only thing that occasionally smells a little musty is my winter doona. it spends most of the year in a plastic cover, so does need hanging in the sun for a couple of days before use.

I hate the smell of mothballs, so don''t use them.
    Instead I use those cedar balls or discs or lavender hangers. I'm not much into lavender smell either... but it's nicer than mothballs and the moths hate it. The cedar ones are nice... don't have a strong smell.