Thread: Merbau decking or composite decking

Default Merbau decking or composite decking

hi does anyone have a deck made from merbau if so what do you think what are the pros and cons also does anyone have a deck made from composite materials such as Modwood, cleverdeck, correctdeck etc if so what do you think of it.

Neither, we looked at Merbau, but went with Red Ironbark and it looked stunning. Good price too!

Hi Lulu how long have you had it down and what is the upkeep like on it. We are just after something that is low maintenance thats why we looked at the composite decking

We did our deck with Merbau. Haven't really found any cons (except the price). It looks amazing and we've had the deck up for about two years and have only had to oil it twice. The deck has a roof on it but it does get a fair bit of sun. There are a couple of photos on my Facebook taken on our deck if you want to check it out if that helps. I'm a big fan of the Merbau. But some of the cheaper options can look just as nice or even the same if you get the right colour stain or oil.

thanks nikw tried to look at your link but said link had expired thanks for replying too

salad, sorry about that!! I've just updated the link so hopefully it will work for you. There are two pics on page two of the album. One with Amy in the nudie laying down on the deck and the other one is DH and DD standing on the deck. I took the photo looking outside. Hope it gives you some idea :-)

dont say sorry its ok
    Deck looks GREAT amy is such a cutie - thanks heaps for your feedback - may have some more questions for you later if thats ok.

we have a large merbau deck and find it to be great..very low maintenance and the timber doesnt discolour with age the way some of the lighter ones do...again we have only had to oil it twice in 4 years...the original one and once about 12 months ago...oiling it with the mop head thingy takes about an hour so is really no big deal either.

Oh thanks Salad, glad it worked! If I can't answer your questions, I'll ask DH ;-) Renovating is so exciting!