Thread: Shoe storage - How and where

Question Shoe storage - How and where

I'm over shoes, and the millions of places I find them in my house!

I'll be looking at organising them asap but of course don't have much to spend.

The laundry is already overcrowded as I just conned DH into buying me a small chest freezer to help us buy meat, bread etc in bulk and freeze plenty of meals. I would prefer them to be in a place that wouldn't affect anyone if they are smelly. ATM I have put all the shoes we don't wear (seasonal) upstairs in storage and the shoes that don't smell have been lined up under our bed but are now in a pile in our room ready for arranging. I could re organise the kids play room and pop some storage system in there under the stairs.

What do you do? Throw your ideas my way. I need inspiration.

Funny you post this because I am just about to do the same thing! I have wire baskets that are built in to the bottom of each persons wardrobe in this house but do you think they stay there? and I am sick of them sitting in a pile in the dining/lounge.
    I am looking at getting a couple of cane baskets - saw some with fabric lining today at Target that I am going to sit in here so that the ones we don't wear all the time will go in our rooms but the every day ones can get chucked into baskets.
    I saw a blog the other day and they had laminated all the kids photos onto each basket so the kids knew which basket was for them.

At the moment we have racks like these that I bought pretty cheaply, maybe $10 each at a discount shop? At the moment they're just sitting in the house, which looks a bit messy (can't rely on family to line shoes up nicely) so the plan is to get one of those IKEA shoe cabinets in the hallway to hold the shoes we wear all the time (because really we all only have about 2 pairs each at one time for every day wear) and keep the others on the shoe racks in the bottom of our wardrobes.

I got an extendable metal shoe rack (they also have wooden ones) from a cheapo shop (Reject Shop etc). Only my shoes are on it and it's in our bedroom along one wall. DF only has like 2 pairs of shoes, and although these days I only wear one pair I can't bear to part with my heels/boots!

I was sick of the same thing happening here, so we bought some of the Ikea cubes - (we got the one with 10 cubes) and the cane baskets. We put ours in the front entrance, and have photos etc on top.

When I had my walk-in-robe that was big enough for a cot, we had a very large shoe rack that took up an entire wall. Now that we've moved I had to do a huge cull, but there is no stoarge in this house so I have resorted to two very large plastic underbed stoarge boxes for DH and mine. DS live in a wire basket in his wardrobe and DD's have an entire shelf in her compartmentalised built-in.
    Lucky for me no=ones shoes small too badly. DH goes to some pretty mank places for work and his boots live outside. We pick up shoes as a priority at the end of each day because I can't stand to have one go missing when we need it quickly, and I'm not a fan of mess

Thanks heaps guys. I really like the idea of having them on racks - but dont really want to see them and currently don't have anywhere to put them out of site.

I think I'll head down to our local bargain shop and have a look at options re racks but also loving the basket idea for shows that can just be thrown in.

What do you do with your pretty shoes? The ones that have heels? I don't have many but wear some to work in the winter.

I used to be a stickler for shoe boxes and looking after shoes 'properly' but since I'm the only one that goes into my shoe box (except DS occasionally) I figure they're pretty safe, so my Midas heels are in there with my sneakers and Havvies.