Thread: Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery & Homebirth

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Private Health Funds Covering Midwifery & Homebirth

Article can be found here which has a summary of funds and amounts.

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

lisa352 Guest

Default MBF claims

After reading in another forum that MBF cover up to $3000 of midwife costs for homebirth I thought I'd give them a ring. After 2 long phone calls I received a big no ](*,) , but if my midwife is registered with MBF I would receive $28.
    If anyone has anymore information about homebirth claims through MBF I would love to hear how they went about it .
    Lisa

Melbaby06 Guest

This is no help for Lisa but ...

Teachers Federation Health (for all those teachers out there) offers 100% cover for midwifes & homebirths. They also cover antenatal care, birth classes, lactation consultants, a nappy service & home nursing

It doesn't get much better than that!

I swapped from MediBank Private for the very reason they offered absolutely nothing for birthing naturally.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Lisa, I think they got it mixed up with HBA? HBA and Australian Unity are the only ones which I know that offer worthwhile cover. I've updated the article, check it out!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

chant Guest

I have just heard that HBA will not be covering homebirths. They ran a pilot programme but have decided not to continue. I would confirm this tho' by calling them yourself. Maybe if they got lots of calls they'd change their minds!

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by Melbaby06 View Post
    Teachers Federation Health (for all those teachers out there) offers 100% cover for midwifes & homebirths. They also cover antenatal care, birth classes, lactation consultants, a nappy service & home nursing

I was going to add the same thing. It's for partners and family members of teachers too. So if your hubby's a teacher, you can join.

Just called HBF - they are to cease ALL homebirth cover from April 1
    Does anyone know if daughter's of teachers can be covered by the teacher fund??

Quote Originally Posted by chant View Post
    I have just heard that HBA will not be covering homebirths. They ran a pilot programme but have decided not to continue. I would confirm this tho' by calling them yourself. Maybe if they got lots of calls they'd change their minds!

Cheryl
    Well, I have received an email from HBA after asking if they will change their minds about the homebirth cover. I'd quote it here, but there is a little clause at the bottom of the email about intellectual property yaddiyaddah.
    The crux of the reply is that my letter will be forwarded to the customer product people and they will make a record of it and add it to any other such requests (if any) - this will be used to adjust their cover policies, should they get enough interest registered.
    So, people, get thee to the HBA website and go to the contact section where you submit a query!!! Especially if you already have cover with them.
    I might reply and say that I am considering pulling my cover with them to go with someone who does (without telling them that I can't actually find anyone who does, where I wouldn't have to serve the 12 month waiting period, and pay through the nose for such cover...).
    PLEASE consider contacting HBA!

Ellibam Guest

i got a letter from defence health and they have increased there m/w cover!! which i think is awesome! its almost doubled it

HBA are hoping to start covering homebirth at the end of the year. I've been in contact with the lady working on it. She's not making any promises but she's working on it.

And I've looked and looked and the only other one I found was Aust. Unity - and that's only if you've been with them for 12 months. So the rest of us poor dumb bunnies have to fork out the big bucks to get the births we want. /rant off/

... at least there's the baby bonus

Thanks Night Goddess! Looks like we might stay with HBA, seeing as I don't think I"m preggers yet, and if I am (and just don't know it), then I'll scrape in for the end of the year. Not holding my breath, though - I've come to grips with the idea of using Baby Bonus money, even if DP doesn't want to (what's he going to do, force me to go the the FBC??? he he)

sohel02 Guest

Default Customer Product discuss

the reply is that my letter will be forwarded to the customer product people and they will make a record of it and add it to any other such requests (if any) - this will be used to adjust their cover policies, should they get enough interest registered.
    So, people, get thee to the HBA website and go to the contact section where you submit a query!!! Especially if you already have cover with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbaby06 View Post
    This is no help for Lisa but ...

I swapped from MediBank Private for the very reason they offered absolutely nothing for birthing naturally.
    They actually cover $1500 for homebirth now, not 100%. But $1500 is better than nothing, hey!

Peoplecare cover up to 80% of the first $1100 for a midwife for homebirth. But if you have to transfer to hospital they will not cover the hospital.
    Its one or the other.
    Not much I know but its kind of better than nothing.