Thread: Publicly Funded Homebirth Currently Available in Australia

Lightbulb Publicly Funded Homebirth Currently Available in Australia

In Australia Homebirth is largely unfunded by the government, but there are certain places where you can access it.

Be aware, however, that there are often restrictions placed on women who choose to homebirth through the public system, examples of things which may risk you out of the program: VBAC, twins, breech, first time mum etc (check out the fineprint at the establishment you are interested in, as it does vary) so many women in Australia will still opt to hire an Independant Midwife, as many of them are comfortable and experienced with first time mums, VBAC, twins, breech etc, it is of course something which would be negotiated by you with the individual midwife.

Western Australia

Community Midwifery Programme - http://www.cmwa.net.au/

New South Wales

NEWCASTLE
    Belmont Birthing Service Homebirth Program
    Freestanding birth centre within Belmont Hospy, also offering a homebirth service
    Belmont District Hospital
    Croudace Bay Rd, Belmont
    Ph: (02) 4923 2204
    Midwifery Coordinator: Carolyn Hastie, 0428112786

SYDNEY
    St George Hospital Homebirth Service
    The hospital has a homebirth service aka the maternity outreach program.
    St George Hospital
    Gray Street, Kogarah
    Ph: (02) 9113 1111
    Midwifery Coordinator: Shea Caplice

(The Sutherland Hospital and the Royal Hospital for Women are both planning homebirth services for the near future also.... watch this space for more information.)

TAMWORTH

Robin Skewes CMC at Tamworth Base Hospital is authorised to attend homebirths through the public system.

South Australia

Midwifery Group Practice, Women's and Children's Hospital (public)
    72 King William Rd, North Adelaide, SA ph: (08) 8161 7819
    contact - [email protected]
    [url]http://www.wch.sa.gov.au/services/az /divisions/wab/mid_gp[url]
    Midwife-led continuity of carer model, offering known midwife plus back-up midwife through pregnancy, birth and first six weeks postnatal. Midwife consults with obstetric and other staff as needed. Takes women of all risk categories, but limited to about 1,000 women per year, some geographical limits apply. Care provided in community, home and hospital. Book in via first appointment with Women's Outpatients Clinic on (08) 8161 7592. Waterbirth and VBAC supported . No charges to public patients. No private patients or GP-share care: care is midwife-led.

Northern Women's Community Midwifery Program (public)
    28 Philip Highway, Elizabeth, SA ph: (08) 8252 3711
    Offers known midwife plus back-up through pregnancy, birth and first 4-6 weeks postnatal. Located within Northern Women's Community Health Centre with close working relationships with psychologist, domestic violence health worker, interpreters, etc. Midwife works in collaboration with obstetric team at hospital. Program takes women of all risk categories. Limited to 140 women per year, and only for residents of council areas of Salisbury, Playford and Tea Tree Gully. Antenatal, postnatal and birth care in community and home, and at assessment unit at Lyell McEwin Hospital. Waterbirth, homebirth and VBAC supported; No charges to public patients; No private patients or GP-share care: care is midwife-led.

Northern Territory

Community Midwifery Practice & Homebirth Service in Darwin & Alice Springs

Darwin: ph: (mobile) 0417 810 535
    Alice Springs: ph: (mobile) 0401 114 188

This is a Northern Territory government supported home birth service within the Community Health Branch of the Department of Health & Community Services (DHCS). The service is located in Alice Springs and Darwin and is provided to enable Home Birth Midwives, in collaboration with the multidisciplinary health team, to provide effective and professional primary midwifery care across pregnancy through to the postpartum period. The midwives support eligible women electing to labour and birth at home if they live within the specified boundaries.

Tasmania - N/A

ACT - N/A

Queensland - N/A

Victoria - N/A

Last edited by Cyathea; February 2nd, 2008 at 12:34 PM.

Vic dont even make the list

I've added it now...doesn't make inspiring reading.

i don't know if i'm allowed to post in here but i thought i would say that i have used belmont birth service and they are wonderful a great bunch of midwives so down to earth and just amazing

The womens and childrens is on the verge...hopefully all official very soon

Do you know if there any update to the Brisbane area as yet?

Is there something we can do to try and make Homebirth a public health option? I am really keen on investigating this option and being part of trying to make it happen. I am hoping that I am successful with a VBAC this time so I can homebirth next time.

Oops thought the post must not have gone through as it was still open on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Is there something we can do to try and make Homebirth a public health option? I am really keen on investigating this option and being part of trying to make it happen. I am hoping that I am successful with a VBAC this time so I can homebirth next time.
    There has been a recent Maternity Services Review where anyone could write in with their suggestions for improvements. Many of the people who responded were consumers of maternity services, which is great. Sadly, women having VBACs are often not "allowed" to birth at home within a hospital framework, regardless of having a vaginal birth subsequent to the CS. I'm in Sydney - it might be different where you are. This highlights why we still need private midwifery services IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozziehoffy View Post
    Do you know if there any update to the Brisbane area as yet?
    Unfortunately, knowing Brisbane as I do, I think they may well be the LAST state coming on board with it...(So, no, nothing in the works)

Although I am very willing to be proved wrong, we will see if the recent maternity review makes any difference to things...

So in booking in, are you restricted by location? I am a fair way from Kogarah (don't know how many kms but I'd guess it'd take me a good hour to get to Kogarah) so would I be rejected for being out of area?

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks View Post
    So in booking in, are you restricted by location? I am a fair way from Kogarah (don't know how many kms but I'd guess it'd take me a good hour to get to Kogarah) so would I be rejected for being out of area?
    I would think a quick phone call to them would be the best bet to find that out...

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks View Post
    I think they only go within a 20-30 minute radius from the hospital. You could still have a homebirth with a private midwife.

Thanks for the responses - I should call just out of interest. I don't think it's all that relevant though as I'd have a hell of a time convincing DH even if they would take me on.
    We can't really afford the private midwife, melissa I just think it's appalling that they are not covered by all private health funds or that you can't homebirth through the public system in all areas. (If this were the case, I would've started working on DH before we got pregnant )
    And yes, I've written to my MPs about it

Default Home birth

It is a good news and those who has availed it , let them share it here !