Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Safety of Breech Birth

Litigation aside, Dr's/obs etc should still be taught how to deliver a breech baby - you never know when one will present and there will be times when it is too late for a c/s and the baby has to be delivered.

I know Shannon. I would be interested to know exactly how much they teach them on the matter when they are at Uni - they could be taught it, but can't practise it because of hospital 'policies'. I might even ask my Dr about it at my next visit.

Yay for Andrew (he was my VBAC Dr but unfortunately he was away when I went into labour )

I was a breech baby, back in 1974 in NZ, I came big toe first (is that called a footling breech?), they told my Mum that I was a boy until they realised it was my toe LOL

They tried all sorts of things to move me including trying to turn me, in the end they brought Mum`s labour on and turned up the IV fluids up to high as the Dr wanted me out so he could go to his family dinner that night, once I was born I was then placed in the nursery and was not allowed to be touched for 24 hours because I was a breech bub.

Discussed this today with my OB. He flatly said "no" unless it was a totally unexpected breech that was discovered during labour

Not long ago, one of my doula clients, a woman in her late 30s, gave birth to her breech baby vaginally in a private hospital. A three hour labour for a first time mama, pretty good eh? (So take heart, all first-time older mums! Another 40 yr old first-timer client of mine had her baby within a couple of hours! Sheesh, it took me 24 hours at age 30!)

At first, her OB advised an elective c/s. After hiring me as their doula, we discussed the option of vaginal breech and the pros & cons. They went back to their OB and said, we've decided to change to another careprovider since you are not comfortable with vaginal breech." Suddenly, their Ob became comfortable in a hurry. My client said, "It was because we were informed and empowered."

Because it was a private hospital, she ended up on the bed, strapped to a monitor. She wanted to get up and move, but the senior midwife told her that the CTG machine was showing that she was only having very mild early contractions.

My client was in considerable discomfort, and thought, if this is only early contractions, I am never going to be able to do this. She said she wanted to move. The charge midwife said, "Well if this is how you feel now, how are you going to cope with a long breech labour?" To another staff member, she said, within my client's hearing, "We're not coping very well."

My client got desperate and said, "Call my Ob, I'm having a c/s." When her OB examined her, she found that she was already 10cm. (The mother knows best - not the machine. Listen to the mother, watch the mother - not the machine.) She went on to have a successful breech birth. She had discussed being in a standing squat for the birth, which the Ob had agreed to, but at the time, the Ob reverted to type, whipped out the stirrups, placed my client's legs in them and proceeded.

I was not present at the actual birth, my client told me about it afterwards. My impression is that despite an environment that was not all that supportive or normal birth, and practices that are actually detrimental to safe birthing, my client was still spectacularly successful at managing a breech vaginal birth.

Just to encourage everyone - vaginal breech is even possible in Melbourne, even with an Ob who has advised a c/s - get support, get informed, and stand up for your preferences.

Thanks Kelly, when i have a minute i will sit down and read this.. i find it quiet interesting as had i made it to hosp with DD1 i was told i would have had NO CHOICE but a C/S and we didn't even know she was breech. Will come back tonight when kids are in bed and have a read.

Wow i'd be interested to find how much the stats have changed since then still.

My nan had 2 breech babies and couldn't understand all the fuss when i had DD1, i explained to her it is different now and in most public (and well let's admit private aswell) hospitals now there is NO CHOICE and the minute they know breech it's an automatic C/S.
    The midwives i had in hospital basically all admitted had i presented at hsopital in labor with DD1 i would NOT have been allowed to labor naturally and that they would have had no idea what to do, the OB also admitted he would not have been comfortable delivering a breech baby let alone footling breech.

I understand the risks and had i known DD1 was breech and had they had the opportunity to SCARE me into a C/S then i prob would have agreed, but going through it and knowing it can be done i strongly urge ALL women/men to research, research, research.. do what is comfortable for you... in saying that i would never judge anyone for CHOOSING a C/S.. in the end it's what you think is best for YOUR CHILD and YOUR BODY but please be aware it can be done.

Now i really want to know the current stats.. thanks Kelly..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12