Thread: Homebirth debate on 7pm Project tonight

Default Homebirth debate on 7pm Project tonight

Just saw the ad for the 7pm Project...there is a debate about homebirth vs hospital birth, gee I wonder which way it will go??

Ha, well if it's anything like the one they had on vaccination..........

Thats what I thought!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

As someone posted on FB: "This is not a homebirth gone wrong! It is a a transfer gone right! Birth at home is safe, but sometimes women need to transfer for what ever reasons, isn't it great that she had a skilled midwife who detected issues and transfered her accordingly?!?! Shame on the media for sensationalizing on the issue of homebirth when clearly this new mother had enough on her plate!"
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

So true Kelly.

Psshhhh debate my a**e. I think I am now 2% dumber for watching that segment.

Quote Originally Posted by allycat06 View Post

There was no debate.
    The ob gave his oppinion, said do your research & be informed if thats what you choose to do, but that he could not support it in anyway, then the rest of them said they wouldn't like the idea of the cleanup after, lol.

I did like the email at the end though...
    Birth is a natural process, not a disease that needs to be treated

yep, gotta agree with ally on that one!

LOL, 7PM project is a comedy news show. I wouldn't expect much in the way of serious debate anyway...

Exactly.

Yeah but like I said in the other thread- where's the other side of the argument?
    I really hoped they would at least have two sides to the 'debate' (uh, don't you have to have two sides for it to even be called a debate? )
    Where are the pro-homebirther's voices?????????

*sigh* Would've been nice to have Justine Caines or the like on. If anyone can present an articulate argument as to why homebirth is safe it's her.

I just jumped on insenced to e-mail 7pm project and check here for comments.
    No matter what the argument or which side you fall it is bad journalism to present a story by saying its controversial and proceed to present a very biased, one sided patronising piece.
    I take your point Schmickers that its a comedy news show, but the truth is loads of people watch it as a palateble way of keeping up to date.
    They often deal with important issues.
    I hope they give a right of reply to someone who can point out that the "evidence" quoted by Mr "doctor-knows-best" RANZCOG is flawed and that the kind of home births that are mainstream in many developed countries (including the UK where the NHS supports homebirth), that is low risk, healthy women are actually supported by the evidence,
    Aaarrggh!
    I am ashamed to identify as a doctor after hearing such patronising views presented. In Ina Mays Spiritual Midwifery there is a doctor who decides that her MD stands for midwife in disguise. We're not MDs in AUstralia but I think thats me too. It is this issue that will be the other thing that sends me to NZ should we have an Abbott prime ministership. Its a scary prospect to practice obstetrics (the way it should be practiced) in this country at the moment.
    Last edited by PollyA; July 8th, 2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spell

Quote Originally Posted by allycat06 View Post