Thread: How did you afford your homebirth?

Default How did you afford your homebirth?

Dh is not keen on homebirth at the best of times but his main issue is the cost. A few IMs I enquired with did not offer payment plans or were really expensive so he vetoed all of them. Ive managed to find one who seems to be keen on deciding on a price thats relevant to our budget so she'll be calling today.

I was just wondering how other homebirthers dealt with the costs associated? Ive figured if we save $140 a fortnight starting next week on pay week by the time the baby is born (EDD anyway) we'll have a bit over $2000 together, plus our health fund will pay up to $800 of the IMs expenses. This IM has indicated that if we can get the $3000 together she will take that and still do full care and not shared or reduced care like I asked for (I know some IMs do that to offer a reduced cost option).

ETA - what did you pay for your homebirth and was it full care?

We did a payment plan of about $700 a month for 6 months ($4250 total). We had planned to get money back from PHI but bub came too early and we ended up in hospital.

For me, the level of care and competence was the most important thing, not just being at home. I'd go for the best you can get and work out a deal with them. The cost of our homebirth included all ante-natal care, 2 IM's at the birth and all post-natal care. Given most of our appointments lasted at least an hour and the IM's spent hours with us at the birth, I think it is great value.

You need to get a posting to Darwin before the bub's born Freya...homebirth is publicly funded up here - it's free!

Oh really Kim!? Man if I had of known that I may not have been so anti Darwin last time we posted lol Unfortunately we arent posted out of here until the end of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    You need to get a posting to Darwin before the bub's born Freya...homebirth is publicly funded up here - it's free!
    I had no idea!! That is fantastic!!

We just muddled through and paid in installments (at each appointment). Re-arranged the budget a bit and focused on the end point. I know that is not very practical advice, sorry.

I just had to do it after my previous hospital experience. I really wanted the 'guaranteed' support of someone I knew (by getting to know them during appointments) and someone I know was on the same page as me. I completely agree with Tashybabe that the level of care and competence is so important. Each of my appointments went for over an hour and they came to me - which was really helpful with a toddler to look after too. I just felt so much more like a human leading up to the birth rather than just another file at the hospital, and I really felt that all my issues and concerns were heard and dealt with.

In the end, only one of my midwives made it to my birth as it was way too fast to get them both there. Still, I had no issue paying them both. As a matter of fact, having two women I knew really cared for me and knew me well stitching me up after the birth (minor tear and abrasion, still the stitching was potentially the most traumatic part of the whole birth!) and taking a good 15 minutes to discuss the best way to do it, I remarked that the money I spent on the homebirth was paying off by not having to undergo this with a stranger or with someone in a rush! Post natal care and advice further sealed the deal for me.

I apologise that I have not really answered your question about how our homebirth was afforded but rather rambled about why I think it is money well spent, I am sure you already have your thoughts worked out if you are considering one. Maybe there is something else that you can take to your husband in my experience? I was lucky that DH fully supported me and he was more than happy with the outcome, he could clearly see the benefits and was so much more involved this time (being there at pre and post natal appointments as well as the only support for most of the labour.

WRT payments: we paid $110 per appointment, $1400 booking fee at 30 weeks and $1600 birth fee. All up about $4000 for full care.

~Kim~ and Freya: I wish we were getting posted to Darwin!!! Our next bub may be a homebirth! Damn it, I cancelled Darwin out when we moved here, maybe I shouldn't have!

This is an interesting and helpful topic! I was wondering how much it cost...