Thread: Breastfeeding and Implanon

Question Breastfeeding and Implanon

Just wondering if its fine to have Implanon in as well as fully breastfeeding. My daughter is almost 6 weeks old and I have just had the implanon inserted and did let the ob know that I am breastfeeding. Now that I read the brochure it has a general section titled Lactation which suggests it may not be the contraception of choice while b/feeding. So just seeking reassurance that there won't be any adverse implications for my baby!

That's odd as when I got it my OB reccommended either Implanon, mini pill or Myrena IUD as the only safe ones for b/f.
    I'd definatley call tomorrow and ask.

Thanks for your reply Sam. Good that your ob said that. I'm sure my ob thought it ok too as she was asking if I breastfeed and didn't mention any probs re implanon.

I just found this info from Family Planning NSW info sheet:

Small amounts of the hormone in the implant will go through the breastmilk to the baby. We have no information specifically for Implanon, but we do know from the use of Mini pills, which have similar hormone levels, that the amount of hormone found in breastmilk is very small and very unlikely to have any effect on the baby. But if you are concerned about even this small amount of hormone going through to your baby, Implanon may not be the contraceptive method for you at this time.

So it sounds like its fine...