Thread: Depo Provera

Default Depo Provera

Tell me about the Depo Provera injection. Pros, cons? How much is it? How is it different form other contraceptives? and any other info. Thanks!

Honestly, I hated it. Cost wise it wasn't overly expensive and if you have a health care card (I don't) you will get it cheaper because I got a script for it and then took it back to my Dr to have it injected. Not sure if you can use it as birth control when you are BF though, so that's something to look into.

I had a lot of issues with it - bleeding for a week or more every few weeks, sub zero libido, couldn't lose weight and just a general feeling of crappiness. Plus I only ever had the one injection and it took months for my cycle to go back to normal after the 3mths effectiveness was up, so I vowed never to have it again.

ETA - the only 'pro' was that I didn't have to remember to take a pill each night. Other than that it was all con

Depo Provera is a Prost only contraception so it is compatible with BFing. (No estrogen)

It can cause complete weirdness with your cycles for the first year, and then can stop them except for light spotting after that. It has a Typical Use failure rate of 3% and a Perfect Use of 0.3%. Long term use has been known to cause irreversible bone density loss in users.

I have previously posted my thoughts on it.. I have had a bad experience. Bled for 2 months straight, was told 2nd injection would settle it, only stopped bleeding for about a week then have been spotting ever since. So pretty much since Dec I have had maybe 2 weeks of not bleeding.. I guess the pro is it's good contraception cos I feel like crap and have completely lost my sex drive!!! I am going to doctors tomorrow because something needs to be done about this bleeding.. Having said that tho I have met 1 person who has had no probs..

Exactly what the other girls said...don't.

I loved it!! It stopped my period. I didn't have any bad side effects. I used it for 4 needles, then stopped and got pregnant the next month so no issues there. I would def reccomend it. You can use it while BF too