Thread: Implanon.....good or bad???

Default Implanon.....good or bad???

Hi!

I had my baby two weeks ago come tuesday. I went for a check up with my GP on Friday (had an emergency caeser) and contraception was discussed. He suggested the Implanon implant and I'm booked in for this Thursday. Is this too soon?? I'm breastfeeding.

I wanted something other than the pill as I'm always forgetting to take it. He suggested I have the Implanon implant as I am protected from pregnancy for 3 years and that I will most likely not get a period at all. That all sounded fantastic (we do not want anymore children and this would give me the time to talk my DH into a vasectomy) but I went onto yahoo this morning and all I could find were BAD posts.

People gaining weight, bad mood swings and continous bleeding.

Should I get this done?? I know I can have it removed if it doesn't work but I guess I'm just looking for someone who has had positive results with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Jean

I looovvveed the implant. I had mine in for a year before deciding to remove it and TTC. I didn't have a period the whole time except for some spotting about 6 weeks after getting it. I did get some acne with it though. It is fine to have while BFing as it 's the same as the mini-pill. I'm pretty sure you can take the mini-pill as a test to see how you go on the hormones if you want- it would be cheaper than getting the Implanon in and out.

For the purposes of playing Devil's Advocate, I hated Implanon. Yes, it does have the convenience of being in your body so you don't hafta remember to take it, and yes, doctors say its easily removed if you're not happy.

But I found that when I tried to get mine removed, my GP wouldn't listen. We went to the ER twice because I attempted suicide (thats how badly it affected my moods) and I was told that it wasn't the Implanon. It was only removed becuase I tried to cut it out of my arm myself, so the doc figured it would cause less damage if he just did it.

A few of my girlfriends have also had it, and, out of 5 of us, 1 was happy with her experience. Three of us had extreme mood swings (verging on violent toward ourselves or others) and 1 started bleeding profusely.

I inderstand that it affects everyone differently, and I hope it works for you. I have posted this on other threads about Implanon as a warning, if you feel that ANYTHING is wrong, DON'T LET DOCTORS IGNORE YOU.

As for the mini pill being similar I was advised it's completely different. It is the same hormone, but because of the way each are released it can react entirely differently. As for the "most likely wont get a period" amenorrea (absence of period) is only in about 20% of women.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

I hated it. I had it for about 6 months, maybe a tiny bit longer, and in that time, my bleeding was reversed as what i had it normally, so i had period for 3 weeks, then a break of about 1 week MAX, then bleeding. It wasnt HEAVY bleeding all of the time, maybe for about a week, then light bleeding the other two weeks. It was hell. And like sunflower, or similar, i got pretty depressed, i personally think it had a huge contribution to my depression and agoraphobia.
    I did gain weight, but i personally liked that, i was a size 7 pre implanon, after having the implanon put in i slowly gained weight to be a size 9. More womanly figure that i just loooved.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I got an implanon when DD was about 4 weeks old. I love it except for the unpredictability of getting a period. I got a period 2 weeks after post birth bleeding stopped, that lasted about 1.5 weeks, then about a month later I had another period which lasted 3 days, now I haven't had one for almost 2 months (that part I don't mind). I'm not sure if the strange monthlys are because of implanon or BF or both although I'm cutting back on BF now and still nothing.

i had the implanon after my first and hated it i had a period nearly constantly for three months. i had a copper iud put in after i had the implanon taken out and i loved it it has no hormones or chemicals in it so it doesnt affect your cycle and lasts for 5 yrs

I had mine first one put in when I was 20 (no AF while Implanon was in) had it out when it "expired" and then had another put in. (All up, 4 1/2 years using it) I have recently had my second one out 8 weeks ago and am still waiting for my period to return, because atm, we can't start trying until I know when my cycle is. At the moment it's non existent.

I loved Implanon, no mood swings, no AF no weight gain. I would say that as with all contraceptives, everyone's body is different. The only thing I'm having concerns about is how long it will take for my body to return to normal after being in limbo for so long. We are hoping to conceive before the end of the year but am concerned that it will take a while for my cycle to get going again.

The docs said it should return quickly but I am still waiting for my first cycle???
    Last edited by Pooley; September 1st, 2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Pooley - It took 6 weeks for my AF to return.

As Pooley said everyone reacts differently to it. I loved it for ease of use and cost effectiveness - much cheaper than a pill prescription every month!

I hated it. i had it in for almost a year & bled pretty much the whole time barr maybe a couple days each month. I didnt so much put on weight but i just couldnt lose any. I was going to the gym 5 days a week, eating well.....even on the tony fergerson diet for a while. I didnt lose a single kg. When i got it out, i started losing weight straight away. I also got pretty moody, was just like having pms for a year..............DF hated it haha!
    I now have a scar where it was aswell.
    All ppl react differently tho. Chances are u will be fine & have no side effects. U can always get it removed if u dont like it
    U should ask ur Dr about the merina IUD(it is an iud isnt it?) as well. Its implated into ur cervix. Apperantly there arent as many side effects as implanon. I was supposed to get this one but the Dr said there was a small chance of me bleeding for a few months.....i just wasnt up for it. Im not sure if u can BF with this one tho.
    If ur worried about it, just ask ur Dr what other options are out there
    Last edited by ~Amy~; September 4th, 2008 at 09:07 AM.

I had implanon put in 2 weeks after DS was born and it was there for nearly 2 years, I had pg symptoms every month when AF was due, AF would often come with extreme pain and really heavy bleeds, i was moody, i put on weight, it nearly split me and DH up due to the moods and constant bleeds that would just start in no pattern and often last up to 3 months. My sister and a few friends also had it with the same result. I personally would not recommend it. Both of my sisters now have the IUD and swear by it neither get a period and both say its not uncomfortable or anything, and thats the way i will go once this bub is born.
    Have a great day
    Mel

I hated it too. I had bleeding every 3 or so days and my moods were extreme. It made my PND so much worse. I couldn't wait til i got the damn thing out. I had it in for about 7 months.

i can't speak for myself, but my DD1 insisted at 17 that she have it, despite a family history of PCOS. for her, she never really stopped spotting in over 10 months, and gained about 15kg with horrible mood swings and depression. things quickly got better once she had it removed. sorry to be a downer, but as a mum watching DD1 go thru it, i can only say do your research well, and take time to make the decision.

ok. we will all react differently, heres my experience after 7 yrs of implanon.

good.

no period for 7 yrs. no forgetting to take a pill. no oopsy and then "am I , arent I...???" low cost.

bad

depression ( already had it a bit but it got worse) weight gain that i just could not shift! big mood swings.

biggest thing.... NO LIBIDO!!!!! to the point of relationship disharmony. Got it out and three week later kaboom! it was back with a vengence.

but i say give it try. if you dont like it get it out. if your doc refuses (as some obviously have) get a new doc! its your body and your choice! dont let anyone tell you something is not a side effect if you truly believe it is. You know your body way better than a drug company does.

GL honey!

Just had a check up on a cyst on my right ovary, which has since resolved itself but Doc thinks I have PCOS. Which would explain the lack of period so far. Have just been for a blood test and hopefully will no more soon.

Really disappointed as this will my ability ttc.

Thank you for posting this as I was going to come and in ask about implanon. My DP and I were discussing it last night and we realised that since I've had it in I've gained about 10kg and have had trouble with my emotions. Nice to know I'm not alone. I plan on getting my out as soon as we get DP in for the snip.

Hi Pooley, I am in the same boat as you - awaiting AF since having implanon removed (waiting 7 weeks tomorrow) have had pregnancy test(s) and BFN results... I would just like some kind of indication that the 'normal' has returned.

Other posters, I loved my implanon, I did gain weight (10-15kgs over 6 years) which I am now struggling to budge (well have been struggling for about the last 4 or so years to budge it) but now that it is out I am not so in love with it because I don't know where I am in my cycle as I was never regular on implanon - as I say - it didn't bother me then but it does now.

I had the implanon a few years back, but had it removed after a year. I was one of the unlucky ones who had continuous bleeding. It wasn't for the full 12 months non-stop, more like on for 3 months, off for one kind of thing. The bleeding was very, very light though - kind of like on the last day(s) of your period. Apart from that, I loved it. No pill to worry about, and I had a health care card at the time so it cost me next to nothing for what could have been 3 years of contraception! The constant bleeding did become very annoying though.
    I didn't have any problems with weight gain - in fact, I was trying to lose weight for my wedding at the time and I managed that fine.
    I hope all this info is helpful to you. I think it's just one of those things you have to try and see if it suits you. Some women are really lucky and don't have their period at all.