Thread: 41 weeks today and booked in for the "induction discussion" tomorrow - any tips?

Default 41 weeks today and booked in for the "induction discussion" tomorrow - any tips?

So I am 41 weeks today and don't feel like this baby is any closer to making it's grand entrance into the world. As at my last midwife appointment last Thursday the baby was still not engaged (it had been up until about 3 weeks or so ago). I am booked in to see my midwife tomorrow where she will do a membrane sweep and then discuss all of our options in regards to induction if baby does not come on it's own before 42 weeks. She has told me that she would prefer if I didn't go over the 42 week mark and to be honest, I was ready to have this baby weeks ago so I am happy to only go to 42 weeks as well. Baby has always been on the small size but nothing to worry about apparantly, so maybe he/she just needs some more time to grow.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience and what was the outcome, also can anyone recommend anything I should be asking at our appointment tomorrow? Any tips, stories or advise would be a great help.

Also I was wondering if you were induced, how did you find your labour and is there anyone out there who has done it naturally (no drugs other than what was used to induce you)?

I would be asking what your options are in regards to the induction:
    How - Gels, AROM, drip, etc
    When - overnight for gel, or come in in the morning
    Readiness - what's your cervix like right now? Is an induction likely to work?
    Timing of procedures - ie, try gels first. Then AROM. Then drip...?

I'd also ask what their policies are in regards to time they "allow" you to labour after having your waters broken. What their policies are in regards to monitoring during labour (it's often more frequent if you've been induced, and particularly once you're on the drip). Also if there are any other restrictions they might put on you during labour - ie, moving around, using the bath, positions etc (some will say it makes no difference, some have all sorts of arbitrary "rules")

I was induced at 42 weeks. Went in to hospital at 41+6 and had a balloon cathetar & tape (gels is more common I think).
    My cervix was very unfavourable even by the next morning and teh OB said I was at a high risk of having a caesar. It didn't occur to me til much later but I probably should have just got up and left at that point. Anyway, he broke my waters (which was difficult given teh state of my cervix) and wanted to start the drip straight away but we refused. He got cranky. We stood our ground and ended up waiting 3.5 hours before going on the drip, which i think was a really good decision for us.
    Anyway, labour stalled, baby's heartbeat started dropping so I ended up spending the last few hours on my back, not allowed to move due to continuous monitoring. Which was absolute hell - being mobile is definitely much, much better.
    Then apparently DS was in distress so they yanked him out with forceps.

Some people have great inductions, and the closer your cervix is to being ready the more likely things will go smoothly. If you look at the statistics though, it's pretty clear that for first-time mums especially most don't have a great experience. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I just think it's good to be aware of this before you go into it.

All the best - maybe your baby will make a move before then anyway!

Ask if there is a medical need for an induction, and get them to explain what the need. If not, tell em to bugger off.

Seriously, i know you are hanging to see your baby but your bub might just need another couple of days to be ready. And going natural has so many less restrictions on you.

Find out what the hospital policies are on induction, monitoring, ability to move around etc. Once you have consented to begining the induction of labour, it is much harder to refuse the next layers of intervention (breaking of waters, syntocinon etc).

Honestly, if I were you I would let baby stay as long as you can, and that you'er comfortable with. I was induced at 38+3 with DD due to what they assumed was my waters breaking (turned out to be hind waters and I didn't necessarily need to be induced) I was put on a drip straight away. I found it really horrible. I was monitored the whole time so was on my back on the bed. I was in labour for 23hours. My cervix was not favourable and it was mentioned many times for me to either have a c/s or vacuume extraction. Baby was very slow to come down and in my opinion was not ready to be born. I was lucky she did come down and I managed to push (for 3hours!) her out vaginally with no help except a 3rd degree epesiotomy. I also ended up having 2 shots of pethadine (even though they made me vomit and heave for about an hour after having the shots) and gas for a little while until it made me sick too. So I was really out of it when DD was born. I didn't want her to have any formula but was just so exhausted and off my face, I let them give her a bottle. I blame the huge issues and truama I suffered from her birth for us not being able to bf well.
    I have also had a totally natural birth with my DS at 41+3 and I am praying with my all that I have another birth just like his this time. It was wonderful and I was on such a natural high after he was born. I remember everything and bf him a few mins after his birth. It was just devine.

**This is totally my own opinion and experience. Yours may be a delightful experience if you are induced. There a re several ways to be induced and it can be done slowly, unlike mine which was going from no contractions to every 3 or so mins in about 15mins. Many women have just as lovely an induced birth as I had with my natural birth.

Good luck hun.