thread: Women's experiences of induction & what happens to your baby during inductions

  1. #19
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006

    Sequoia, maybe a better question is: what is the benefit of a managed third stage if not medically indicated?

    Sloane, your experience sounds so very similar to mine. I had no complications - induced at 42 weeks and ended up with forceps delivery as DS went into distress. One thing I feel good about is delaying the synto to give AROM a chance first.
    I long to experience a natural labour and actually birth my baby - hopefully next time.

  2. #20
    Registered User

    Jan 2010

    Thumbs up I'm all for natural inductions

    This is a clip from the documentary, 'The Business of Being Born.'

    It contains comments from mothers (including Ricki Lake) who have been induced and what they thought of it. It then shows a cartoon of what happens when you get induced, what effect this has on the baby and why inductions all too often end up in emergency caesareans... and I hear/see this all the time happening right here, because induction of labour is known to increase the rate of emergency caesarean sections.

    Note: Pitocin is what we call Syntocinon here in Australia, it's the same drug - so although they are in the US, doesn't mean this doesn't apply to us here, it's the same.

    Hey there,
    just thought I'd drop by and mention that I tried acupressure as a means of inducing my labor since when my last pregnancy was induced medically I found it painful and also that I was being made to fit in with their timetable. My husband tried acupressure on pressure points near my ankles and kept repeating this over the next day and I started labor soon after than. Now I can't say for sure whether the acupressure started my labor but it was well worth a try.

  3. #21
    Registered User

    Feb 2010

    Hospitals make me so angry!
    I am almost 38 weeks with my first baby and I have gestational diabetes. I've had to go on insulin (one injection at dinner time) because my fasting levels were up each morning.
    Last week I was told I would be induced at 39 weeks. Every fibre of being is screaming at me that it is the wrong thing to do. I've been told that she is slightly big for dates but still within average size, my BP is fine and I've been keeping my blood sugar under control. The only problem the Dr could find was that she thought the babys heartrate was "too fast". After being strapped to a monitor for 3 hours a senior Dr came in to check my readings and couldn't understand why I was being monitored at all as the heartrate is normal for a healthy, active baby!
    The next day I called the Labour ward to talk to someone about why I needed the induction. I'd been having panic attacks about it since they booked me in (I wasn't told I have a choice). All they could tell me was that it's "standard procedure" for gestational diabetes.
    If that hasn't been stressful enough, a midwife from the hospital told my mother that if I went over 39 weeks my baby would have diabetes or be stillborn! What is wrong with these people?!
    I have an appointment with my diabetes specialist on Wednesday and plan to arm myself with information for my antenatal appointment on Thursday.
    If they refuse to give me a choice in the whole induction matter my husband has vowed to call up and cancel the induction on the day as he's concerned by how anxious and depressed I've been since they told me I'd "have" to be induced.
    All we want is at least to get to 40 weeks to give her a chance to come out on her own not go through all this stress for the sake of 1 weeks difference and "standard procedure".

  4. #22
    Registered User

    Jun 2010

    This is quite an info. Im just so glad I had a good induction experience. I was given a gel first (the night before I went to labor) and then was induced. 6 hours later I started to push, another 2 hours and I've given birth.

    This is the only experience I have so I have nothing to compare it with. But since we are still undecided if we'll have another child, Im happy to come across such info. Thanks.

    I agree. Some of these Dr's are using induction just to fit their schedule!
    Last edited by lesci; June 22nd, 2010 at 01:43 PM.

  5. #23
    Registered User

    Feb 2010

    An update on my induction experience. I was booked in at 39 weeks. I had three gels - nothing! I was told that technically I have three weeks up my sleeve because a lot of women go to 42 weeks! After all the dramas of being guilt tripped into it! Then they said she was normal size and then sent me home for one night to "relax" after doing "a quick internal examination", which was in fact the doctor sweeping the membranes. She didn't tell me that's what she was doing and I freaked out when I went to the bathroom and found brown stuff in my underwear.
    When I returned to the hospital (believe me, I didn't want to go back) I had two more gels. I needed the gas for these as I was getting very sensitive down there and it was very painful. Still nothing! Then they said they might need to use a catheter(?) and break my water. No way was anything else going up there! So eventually they decided to book me in for ceasarean. When explaining the risks the doctor kept saying "but that's only really a problem when it's an emergency ceasarean". Gee, and they wondered why I was so freaked about the induction!
    I am so glad we have decided to stick to one child only (due to my age and a previous miscarriage). During the ceasar the anesthetic started to wear off and it felt like someone was standing on my heart. I got to see my daughter for about two minutes but couldn't cuddle her because of the drips etc in my arms. In recovery I had itching on my chest area and severe shivers. Apparently they were supposed to take me past the nursery when taking me to my room but they didn't, so I didn't get to see her until hours after. Not a great experience at all. At least my girl is healthy (she weighed 3.5 kilos at birth) and she's 4 months old now and a very beautiful baby.
    Last edited by superaprilrain; June 22nd, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

  6. #24
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006

    Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you got on. I'm sorry you had a bad experience
    Glad to hear that she's beautiful - I hope you're settling into motherhood ok despite the rough start.
    All the best

  7. #25
    ♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

    Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

  8. #26
    Registered User

    Sep 2013
    Brunswick West, VIC

    Labour Augmentation

    I was given synthetic oxytocin to augment my labour, despite being nearly fully dilated. After only one hour it caused uterine hyperstimulation, despite the fact that I was only given a low dose. I delivered my baby very quickly and tore badly. For those who are interested, or facing a similar situation, I have written my story in detail below. I want other women to know that even if your labour is not following the 'typical' pattern, it doesn't mean it is dysfunctional. Our bodies are all different. Resist the pressure to be induced and trust that your body is doing the work it is meant to do. I wish I had.

    The first sign that my baby was on her way came when my waters broke on the evening of Wednesday 28th August. I started having light contractions within a couple of hours. Steadily they got stronger and stronger, although they were quite far apart and irregular in spacing. By the next day, the midwives were already urging me to have an induction, due to "prolonged rupture of membranes" and the (rather overstated) risk of an infection. However, I was armed with the facts, and managed to buy myself some more time, but as a compromise agreed to come in to the hospital regularly for monitoring (this scourge on labouring women is deserving of a separate rant some other time). My contractions, despite being irregular and far apart, were quite strong by the Thursday night. There was no possible way I could sleep through them. I had to focus and control my breathing. My TENS and Swiss ball were a godsend. I felt that I was progressing, so on Friday I begged for yet more time, and eventually was given a deadline of Saturday morning before the dreaded intervention would start. This caused me a lot of anxiety. I was made to feel like I was not even in labour and that I was making a big fuss over my contractions for nothing. I was filled with so much doubt, and on Friday I remember I told my husband, "I'm so ashamed of myself. Why doesn't my body know what to do to get the baby out?" If this wasn't labour, I couldn't even imagine how it was going to be once I actually started dilating.

    So finally I was admitted on the morning of Saturday 31st August, after more than 50 hours of irregular (but strong) contractions, averaging ten minutes apart (ranging between six and 15 minutes apart). By this stage I was very relieved to have access to the gas. A doctor was called to give an internal examination and approve my 'induction'. The midwives were genuinely shocked when she reported that I was 8cm dilated (10 minutely contractions, remember!). She told the midwives that there was no need to induce, and I could continue on.

    Despite this, three hours later they put me on the synthetic oxytocin drip to augment my labour, because in their words, "it's not possible to push a baby out with contractions ten minutes apart", and it was going to take me "dozens and dozens more contractions" before I was ready to push. It was never phrased as though I had a choice. They never asked me, and I never said yes. I wish I had memorised the phrase, "you do not have my consent", but I was not prepared for the fact that my medical treatment would be presented as opt out, rather than opt in. Before I knew it the IV had been inserted and the drip connected up.

    They were aiming to get me to four contractions in ten minutes. As per standard procedure, they started the drip at 2 milliunits / min, then upped it to 4 after half an hour, and up to 6 after another half hour (it goes up as high as 32). Despite assuring me it would increase the frequency of my contractions, the only difference to my labour was that the contractions became exhaustingly painful.

    They had me lying on the bed while they tried to attach an internal monitor to my baby's scalp (which was a hugely uncomfortable position to be stuck in during contractions) when the drip was turned up to 6. Suddenly, I was screaming in pain with a contraction that lasted several minutes; it just went on and on and wouldn't let up. My HR was ridiculously high, and the machine was urgently beeping a warning. I was vaguely aware of the word "hyperstimulated" spoken in urgent tones, and they turned the drip down straight away. At some point they turned it off altogether, though I'm not sure exactly when this happened.

    Still contracting, I ran (somehow!) into the bathroom, as I felt a desperate need to get something 'out'. I was screaming for morphine, and one of the midwives had gone to fetch some. Before I knew it I was holding onto the sink in a deep squat. Another midwife was yelling "Don't push! Don't push! You're not fully dilated." I yelled back that I could feel the baby's head slipping down, and they finally understood that I was having my baby and ran to put a mattress down on the floor for me.

    My baby girl was in my arms 18 minutes later. I pushed her out in three contractions, still coming a bit less than ten minutes apart (despite this being an apparently impossible feat). Even though this part of the labour was an amazing experience, I think that due to the oxytocin, she came a little too fast. I sustained a deep tear to the perineum, and completely tore one of my labia. It took an hour and a half to have my stitches done. I know that tears are common for first time mums, and I was willing to accept that as a consequence of a natural vaginal birth, but because I was put on the oxytocin 'against my will', I can't help but feel that these injuries were done *to* me. It's a distressing feeling.

    On the face of it, I achieved what I set out to - I laboured using only the gas for pain relief, and had an unassisted vaginal birth. But the feeling that decisions were not in my hands and that I'll never know what my body would have done on its own leaves me with deep regret that I did not fight harder against the augmentation.