Thread: Advice on Sippy Cups ?

Question Advice on Sippy Cups ?

Hi,

I want to get my DD onto a sippy cup so that when she starts solids she can have some water etc so want her to start learning how to use it now. I am confused though . . All the sippy cups say 6 months + and the ones with straws say 8 months +- Does that mean I can't use one now? And if I can, which type - there is non-valve, valve & straw? Also, would I be able to put her formula top-ups in there as well or should I just stick with water? What has everyone else done?

hi
    we were using the heinz ones with valve.. stay away from those!! expensive and milk gets stuck in the valve and impossible to remove. we have 2, one for water, one for milk. my mchn said use ones without the valve. that seems a lot easier to clean and all.
    we started w the sippy cup at 6 mths and he's still using it at 14mths.
    personally i dont think you need to use sippy cups or straws at different ages. they can continue using whichever just to stop using a bottle. i think it;s a marketing ploy to buy different types of cups!!

I'm a huge fan of the Heize Baby Basics "Toddler Straw Cup". DS has used this for months now and finds it very easy. I've had several friends that have also had very favourable experiences with this one.

I never bothered with formula top-ups. Initially when starting solids if DS didn't have much then I'd see if he wanted a BF straight but as soon as he was eating a reasonable amount I'd stop that.

NB I haven't had a problem cleaning the valve. You pull the whole plastic piece out and then you can see the little clear plastic membrance that sits over the hole that is the valve. That membrane can be easily slipped to one side so then all milk/formula can be removed.

we do do that w the valve, move the membrane to the side, but still find milk residue there... it gets yucky

There are some many sippy cups on the market it does get confusing.

Don't worry about age recommendations. I use the non valve cups at home, but DD will tip them up and make a mess. I don't mind because the non valve cups teach bubs how to control the water/milk flow and the transition to a normal cup is easier. When out I used a Avent bottle with a sippy teat. Now DD is older I use a normal drink bottle.

My fave is the Playtex cup (you can get it with baby einstein pics on it too).....rubber valve, not like the heinz one (which I also used but didn't like the milk goobies left on it!) and it NEVER leaks! I get mine from Big W. I wouldn't worry too much about the age's they state on them....I bought a few different types and went from there

We had the most success with the Avent ones and also the Take and Toss ones from the supermarket.

We HATED the tomee tippy straw one... even DH and I couldn't suck through the straw so how was our 1 year old suppose too?????

There are a few out there with soft plastic on the lid... which can easily be pushed in by little hands... which = big mess!!!!!! And if they are inclined to chew on it and destroy the "teat", you can't get replacements and have to buy a whole new cup

HTH

MG

ooh will have a look at the playtex ones.. will check out at kmart later today .. thanks for that!! else will go look at big w on the weekend

The reason the straw ones are for an older baby is because some babies can't coordinate themselves to use a straw until they are older. Zander could do it at six months, but Juliette still struggles & she's just about one.

We love our Avent cup, we use the 125ml bottle with the spout attachment. There's a removable thing that can make it faster or slower flow. We also love our Kala's magic cup (google it ) I'm thinkong of getting another one soon & some spare tops because they can attach to any regular size water bottle. I figure the tops would be good to keep in the car or my bag in case we go out & forget a drink.

hi sarah, where did you get the kala cup? is it available just online?

I got mine from Kimbaz when she had her store. I think you can only get them online, I was just looking at their website & can't find a retailer in NSW other than online.

thanks.. i'm just looking too.. will check out which is the cheapest.. ta!

I found them all to be around $12.95 for the 300ml or $14.95 for the 200ml and $9.95 for the three pack of spouts.

yup. the prices are as you said w free delivery at parentsessentials