Thread: big babies and solids

Default big babies and solids

I seem to keep coming across this idea that big babies need solids earlier but I have yet to find an reliable source that backs this up. I'm beginning to wonder if its a new old wives tale that is emerging now that the recomendation to start solids at six months is being more widely adhered to.
    Imran is definately a big baby, he's breast fed but almost off the top of the old growth charts however as far as I can tell he's no more mature than other babies his age and he doesn't eat a great deal more so why should I assume that just because of his size that his immune system and digestive system should be more ready to cope with solids.
    Has anyone else noticed that people think that thier baby needs solids earlier because they're big? What do you say to thses people to tell them to back off without being too rude?

I am inclined to think it's a myth too... My usual response was generally along the lines of "obviously she's doing pretty well with just the milk!" and leave it at that.

Hi - my Alex was a big boy on breastfeeding and is just as big a solid eater now at nine months old. You can't argue with him when he's banging on the high chair wanting more food ! I started him with the baby cereal at four months, fruit at five months and veges and meat at 6 months. He has formula now and still has that about 1/2 an hour before the hard stuff. Apart from having excema from birth for a month or so, he's never seen a doctor.

Whats the link with babies and solids and mouth and speech development ?

Mine is 8kg (and just over four months) but he definitely isn't ready for solids. He's just not interested and quite plainly, is happy with his bottle.

One of the other girls posted in a similar vein today about this. Her situation is different to mine though. The six month guideline seems fair enough for most babies but I do know some that have started between four to five months, under the guidance of a health care provider and only then because they seemed to be very ready in more ways than one.

It is definitely not something I would consider with William at present though.

As to whether it's an old wives tale ... I really don't know. One only has to look back at the guidelines on infant feeding to see how much they have varied over the years. All you can do is try to follow the current wisdom on it but be prepared to adapt if the circumstances seem to demand it. I think if your baby is feeding quite happily with breastmilk or formula, it is not really necessary before six months.

I definately think its a myth. I really think if they are doing so well growing on breast milk or formula why the need to add to it? We did try it though when Sammy was 5 months old (silly us)...and he just wasnt interested so left it and whaddya know just a few weeks later was much more into it.

Jo

It's definitely a myth that my town believes in - anything at all means they need solids. Oh their hands are in their mouth they need solids! Oh you are breastfeeding you won't be able to keep up with her she will need a bottle and solids.
    I think you will know when your baby will need solids. 'We didn't start solids until she was 6 months and she didn't really start to enjoy it until 7 months.
    You are the mum - you will know what is right.
    I don't have any advice to what to say to others because they generally won't listen to you anyway - smile and ask why they would start solids early and where they got their information from. Smile and say you will consider it.
    Good luck!

I used to get the same thing with my DS. I just told the busy bodies that I was not giving him solids, until i felt that he needed it. Now people ask me why dont i give him this, and that; like chocolate, and take out etc and i just say, because i dont want him eating rubbish, or foods with stacks of additives just yet! They dont usually argue with me after that!!

I think I need to be more assertive because the same people keep asking me - like they think if they ask me lots of times eventually I'm going to do it IYKWIM. Maybe if I gave them a slightly more strongly worded answer they would back off.

I gave my sons solids early-they were big boys. It wasnt that fact that got me starting them on solids, the fact that they were always really hungry. gave xander rice cereal at 2 1/2 months, just a tsp to start with, and gradually increased it. He always gobbled it down, and has never had any allergies, even now. Declan was the same, milk on its own was never enough. I have heard the same thing from everyone, and ive come to expect criticism for it. BUt i felt my boys were ready, and there's nothing wrong with them now... Personally, i think its entirely up to the parents. Some children are ready, some arent...