Thread: Bitting

Roudysmum Guest

Unhappy Bitting

Tyler is four months old and has bitten since he was born, he tends to do it at the end of a feed when he gets frustrated that the breast is empty, i try to get him off as soon as he has drained one side but sometimes he beets me to it.He only seems to do it at the end of the first breast, What im concerned about is what to do when he starts to cut his teeth, ouf family tends to cut them early, i was 5 months and Ds1 was just 6, i want to feed for as long as possible but if he keeps bitting i might stop.

do you sternly say no when he does it?
    babies are clever if you have given him no reason to think there is anything wrong with biting then he will have no reason to change the habit??
    jemima bites every so often but i can always tell it is not on purpose (and she has the 6 biggest teeth you have ever seen - the first 2 at 5 months)

Say no and then end the feed entirely - don't give him the other side for at least 5 minutes, distract him instead. DS went through a deliberate biting stage and we just had to be strict about saying "no" and meaning it.

Same with the clawing (he reaches for the nipple then those little claws close around it... ouch!), say "no" and put the breast away. Put it away before the clawing if you can!

Does he bite straight away or does he bob on and off first, or does he get the "look"? I can see it with DS if he's thinking about biting. That's when you take them off, kiss well done for not biting, and put on the other side. If you can't get there first, then you don't give any more for the moment. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehip_Fairy View Post
    Does he bite straight away or does he bob on and off first, or does he get the "look"? I can see it with DS if he's thinking about biting.
    Totally!! They look up at you kind of sideways to see if you're watching the little buggers!

If he's been doing this for a long time I'd definitely start dealing with it now before the teeth come because it only takes a couple of bites in quick succession when there's teeth for you to be in alot of pain

When DS goes through these phases he's told no, taken off and boob goes away. He gets the message (mostly)