Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breastfeeding 18 months & beyond

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Marisa I fed until a bit over 2, I fell pregnant and my milk was zapped... Elijah is 2 (Oct) and still loves his booby, but trying to wean a little, he seems to want more and not eat - so I don't want to encourage that at the moment. But loving the relationship still, had some ups and downs, but very proud to say I got to two with both

Luckily my family got over it quick and dont bat an eyelid when Elijah wants boobs and they joke about him being a booby boy with me So thats one nice thing! Luckily nothing confrontational from strangers though, one asked me a question out of interest but no nastiness
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

nice to see you in here angel. well done. my MIL did all the tut tuting with josh 11 years ago and hasn't bothered again with the other two, she just rolls her eyes as if i am spoiling them. she was always busting to mind them and give them a bottle. never happened much to her disappointment. oh well my kids aren't here to please nana and nor am I!
    beckles

Hi there

I am at 10 mths now and plan to keep going until Lucy doesn't want it anymore (think that'll be a sad day for her Mummy...). I have been to some ABA meetings and have a friend who is studying to be a counsellor and still bf her 2 1/2 yr old. Which is great encouragement 'cause I'm starting to feel like I'm the only woman around in my Mothers' Group, etc that is intending to go beyond 12 mths (of the one or two who even get that far...). So your stories are really encouraging to me - keep them coming!! My DP is a particularly strong supporter of extended bf and I find that wonderful.

Beckles, good on Zak, I can't wait to tell DP that story! I get qns about how long I intend to bf now, especially since Lucy is toddling, so I think some ppl assume she's already 12 mths or more. I pull out the WHO line that babies continue to get health benefits until they're at least 2 1/2, so until she wants to stop is fine by me. I'm not sure what I'll say when ppl start telling me I should stop (whenever that is). I think I'll ask them why, 'cause I can't think of any good reason!

bree is about 23 months
    recently found i im pregnant, and told my parents. apparently they believed that if i didnt stop BF it would kill the baby.
    i set em straight
    but seriously it is amazing how many people know so little about breastfeeding. all the elder people i chat too who see bree bf are amazed that i still 'have milk' and that i got preg at all. they thought you cant get preg when breastfeeding - i had to explain that that was true for me for 18 months, then i got AF and was just as fertile as anyone else LOL

congrats on your pregnancy and for breastfeeding for so long., Well done!

Smile

I am so glad I took the time to read through this thread today!

DS has been attached to the boobie all night it seems for the past couple of nights and I've found it a tad frustrating and very tiring and was considering weaning when he hits the one year mark next month! :frown:

However, since reading all the wonderful things you girls have said about the joys of breastfeeding into the second year, I'm feeling energized and happy to continue b/f DS until age 2 if we can get there.

He is just a boobie loving boy and I just need to take one day (and night) at a time. I go through periods where the frequent night feeding doesn't bother me, and then there are other times (like this week) where I just want a night to myself to be able to sleep in a position I want to (I'm a die hard tummy sleeper) and not have someone attached to my nipple all night long!

I don't know whether DS is hungry or thirsty in the night or just needing comfort, or both but I know he needs me and I should be there to meet his needs. Having said that, tonight I took his sippy cup of water into the bedroom and the first time he woke (an hour after going down) I offered him his sippy cup and he had a BIG long drink and then settled in my arms as I walked the room and patted his back for 15 minutes or so. Perhaps this will help us wean off some of the night feeds.

He is sometimes waking and feeding every 2 hours or so. We co-sleep to try to maximize my sleep but I'm just wondering if any of the rest of you have gone through a similar phase at around the one year mark?

Any thoughts, comments, stories would be appreciated as I will welcome any further encouragement to keep going until DS is two!
    Last edited by lilprecious75; January 18th, 2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: found a confusing typo!

Congrats on almost 12 months.
    I went thrpugh something similar around the same age. Jacob went from sleeping through to waking every few hours overnight and I was plain exhausted. It took me till he was aound 13 months to go right enough. I simply refused to feed him.. DH got up to him when he wasn't working the next day or we just ignored him (mean I know but boy was it worth it) it took a few nights but he stopped waking. As you co sleep Just offering a cuddle might be fine. They all develop habits and his is as soon as he starts to wake is to go in search of comfort.

Good Luck. I hope you start getting some tummy sleep soon lol..

Yay for all you girls! I hope I can join in here in 8 months time! hehe.

Yep - generational..and I bet if the WHO turn around and say that you only need to feed for 12 months - WE'LL be the ones saying - no - that's wrong.. it's 2yrs! LOL. We'll probably be just as painful to the up and coming generations My mum threw me the "after 12 months its for the mother not the baby that they keep breastfeeding" - ugh.

I've had some friends surprised that I'm still feeding at 10 months. They don't seem to know whether it's a good thing or not. They just end up saying 'oh.. haven't you done well'. I don't actually think so.. it's just been so natural.. I don't really give a thought to it anymore. In fact it'll be a shock to the system when he weans.. it's such a major part of our lives right now!

Congrats again girls! And well done Angel on b/f while pg Hoping to join you soon! hehe.

ETA: We often co-sleep - but he's never gone in search of boob int he night. He wakes, and I have to sit up and feed him, but he's never been one to roll over and attach. hehe.

heidi one of mine breastfed frequently overnight although for him it wasn't a stage it was just him. he basically breastfed 2 hourly for 24 hours a day until he was about 3 ... very tiring but now he is 8 i am so glad i did it cos he really needed that and could have become a very anxious kid but thanks to me listening to his needs he is a happy well adjusted child. my other 2 had periods of frequent feeding over night but usually just when they were/are teething. honestly, i find co-sleeping a life saver, i really don't think i would survive if i had to wake up to feed. i just sort of roll over in my sleep and thats it. i have no idea how much oscar feeds at night cos i just don't wake up for it. keep up the good work it really is worth it. i have found that by allowing my older 2 to self wean when they were ready Josh at 2 1/2 and zak at nearly 4 they are very confident, happy well adjust kids that are compassionate and caring. i really love breastfeeding but i don't think that i do it for me, if oscar was weaned he would have to have cows milk still so i just give him human milk happy feeding
    beckles

Beckles - I can't be bothered doing the math hehe. Did you feed through pg? or tandem feed any of your kids?

i didn't tandem feed but i did feed for a little while when i was pregnant but josh had pretty much weaned and there is 7 years between zak and oscar i'm into extended breastfeeding but not that extended LOL
    beckles

*looks at your kids ages* LOL - hmm.. I guess not! LOL.

Hi girls
    So glad I found this other forum as I thought the ABA one was the only pro breastfeeidng one around. I loooove my ABA meetings (couldn't stand the mothers group in my area- too many rich snobby farmers wives living in a small town with nothing to do but gosspip!) I am even training to be a counellor Yeah!!!
    Anyway I fed my first until he was 23mths and I'm still feeding my 18mth old son. I intend to wean him until he stops himself or he turns 3 whichever comes first.
    Have had a few comments one form a friend who said I had to do something about my breastfeeding so I could get drunk at her NYE party- no thankyou and I can still have a drink or 2 (I stayed home and had a few glasses of wine instead!)
    DS2 has just stopped the frequent night feeds and has slept through 6 mights in a row (730-4am) YEAH

Phonenix -
    You mean there is hope that my son will stop waking me up 2-3 hourly during the night bashing his head into my arm, chest, or whatever body part is closest looking for boobie??? I would LOVE the thought of him sleeping 7:30pm - 4am as that would be absolute heaven for me!

Yeah there is hope. I just went with the flow and now he's sleeping through. Lets hope it stays like that as I've learn't with the boys not to become too use to anything or hey presto CHANGE!

I am still feeding Jordan but only a night feed before bed. He weaned himself of all the other feeds.
    I am happy to continue the night feed for aslong as he wants it.
    he will be 15 months at the end of January

I am still feeding Maria, we cosleep and I don't always know if she had fed through the night or not as she justs lift the tshirt and self service unless I am in the wrong position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12