Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breastfeeding goals

my goal was and is to feed my boys until they weaned themselves (Josh was 2 and a bit and zak was 3 & 10months). so i achieved this with the first two and oscar is no-where near ready to wean (he is still only a baby). i think my goal was achieved by confidence that my body could produce enough milk for my bubbas, not introducing other milks until well after 1 year old and just following their cues as to when to feed. i never look at a clock and when all else fails offer a breastfeed. now that i am back at work 2 days a week i express there (cos i work with neonates we have a handy expressing room!) and den feeds him that so he still hasn't had any cows milk yet. good luck achieving your goals mummas
    beckles

Ellibam Guest

my goal was a year sadly i didn't make it this time! i think i really felt let down with constantly being told that makon wasn't putting on enough weight and no one IRL to tell me that my milk is perfect for him just keep going! so at about 8 months he was weaned. Although next one i will be more confident in my boobies!

With my first I had no idea how long you were ment to BFed for so I figured if you give a baby formula till 12 months I will bfed for 12 months. The I learn there was toddler formula, so I figured I will bf him as a toddler as well. By the time he was 7 months I was involved with ABA & was happy to just follow Evan flow. He self weaned at 18 months. I think if I wasn't pg it may have been longer but I dunno. But it was the same story, sore nipples & probably funny tasting milk that encouraged him to wean with out me realising.
    With Glenn I have always said once we get to 2 I would probably encourage weaning, but once again I am pg & he is 2 next month. I could put a stop to feeds now if I wanted too. I am sure there is no milk but Glenn is happy to suckle to sleep. Its the only time the breast is offered. He is asleep with in minutes. But I have also just layed him inbed next to me & he eventually goes to sleep with just a cuddle. No crying etc, just lots of chatting!
    If he is really tired I will just cuddle to sleep but if he wants to keep getting up & running around I offer the breast & bang he is asleep.

Chloe, my goal is to bf Lucy for 12 mths and beyond. I intend to stop when she gets closer to 2 yrs if she doesn't self-wean before that.

I'd love to talk more but she's chomping on my arm as we speak, I think that's her way of saying 'enough typing about feeding, how about putting it into practice Mummy!'

My goal was always no less than 12 months - Will's goal seems to be the same! He is 14 months and still having at least 6 feeds in 24 hours - often at night. I have no thoughts as to when it should stop, but by 3ish sounds good to me. Who knows how I'll feel then? My ideal is to let him wean when he's ready.

Jo

I wanted to feed Jack for at least 2 years (seeing as this is the WHO recommendation and also what many of my ABA friends had done/were doing), but unfortunately he self-weaned at 14 months (I was about 3 1/2 months pg at the time and I think that had a lot to do with it). I loved bf and was really sad when he stopped. I still am a bit, I feel like I didn't achieve my goal, but at least I feel some relief that he did it his way and I didn't force it on him (except maybe by falling pg!). I also feel some guilt that lo#2 might get to feed for longer as I don't intend to fall pg again. But hopefully I will get over that. I do feel proud that I fed through 3 - 4 weeks of attachment problems, 2 bouts of mastitis, lots of bouts of sore/cracked nipples and my return to work (managed to keep him exclusively on bb and EBM). So that's the positive!

Melanie

well my 'goal' with my first was 12 months, and i b'fed her until 13 months?? I wish i had been better informed then as i would have fed for longer. i read all the books that told you basically to stop at 1 year by then she was only having a feed at bedtime..she was fed on demand, but not totally iykwim- if i thought she didn't need it i never offered....so i was really encouraging weaning....
    so i think maybe if i hadn't had the 'goal' i may have researched more and kept going??
    Bree is 18months and still bf like a trooper....totally on demand. i am hoping she feed until 2, but its up to her

~Krys~ Guest

We are at 7 months and still going strong. My aim is for at least 2 years and would love the opportunity to tandem feed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12