Thread: Breastfeeding Manners

Default Breastfeeding Manners

Is there anyway to encourage Maggie to have a few more manners when it comes to breastfeeding? The main thing that she does is that only half the time she will lie still for feeding, she will wiggle and twist, sometimes pinches my arm or breast. Sometimes it is like she prefers to stand between my legs to feed, this is hard on my back and a bit embarrassing when she tries it in public.

Also she has started to pull my top up or down when she wants a feed. Ok for home, but once again embarrassing (and funny) when out and I have my whole chest exposed to the world! :eek:

Once she wants a feed there is no stopping her. She will attach herself when she can and wont let go.

BTW she still feeds quite frequently, she is quite a snacker!

welcome to the joys of feeding an older baby. i just pull my top down when oscar does this. you are doing the right thing just seeing the funny side of things. oscar feeds very frequently too as did my older two. well done astrid. lots of claps for you going strong, and seeing the humour of feeding an older child.
    ps i have the bruises too. ouch
    beckles

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

My goddaughter Chiara, who is 13 months, has just started pulling my blouse up/down in public, and I'm not even BFing her! She's grown this massive fascination with my bbs since she's been watching me feed Charlie (she was fully bottlefed). She yanked my top down in church, of all places, the other day, and nothing I could do would stop her! We moved her away from me, but she then chucked a tanty.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas!

Colleen Guest

yeah jay does this, wants to swap sides all the time, flicks my skins or pinches and all sorts. it can be painful sometimes but i usually take him off if he gets too rough , i certainly do miss the younger baby when it comes to this, he used to lie soooo still lol

When you find a way of teaching them some manners when it comes to booby time let me know.

I fed Noah til he was 20 months adn he used to called it "YUM" whenever he wanted boobie he would just say yum and pull my top up or down.
    Many a time Tehya has done the same thing to me. Once they have the idea in their head for a feed thats the end of it. Tehya will see me get change and because she catches sight of my boobs thats it. I guess it's like putting a lolly in front of them, then saying they can't have it.
    Tehya will also start out sitting/laying on my lap having a feed then decide to climb off it, boob still in mouth. No wonder my boobs are starting to resemble that of a Zulu

Good to know I am not alone with this. It can be fun after we have had a shower together and she attaches herself when I am trying to lay her down to dress her. :eek: She also tries to "sneak " down in the shower! Cheeky bub

Somehow I have managed to keep the pulling at top at bay, shes started to a couple of times but thats it so far. Mine tries to stand up etc whilst feeding and she always has to grab hold of a handful of my hair and doesn't let go, very annoying as I hate my hair being pulled!

Aww Astrid, that sound so cute. Tehya likes having a bath with me too. I thinks because she has easy access to booby.

Sherrie, Tehya does the same thing with my hair and she always seems to get the little ones on the back of my neck. Ouch. Funnily enough Noah used to do the same thing.

cazoraz Guest

Coleman is pretty restless these days on the boob too. He is about to turn one (!!) but is only on 3 feeds per day so its pretty easy to do them at quiet times so he is less distracted. he feeds first thing in th emorning, after his afternoon nap, and before bed, so I just try to have the TV off, noise levels of toddler down, and not too many lights on/toys nearby to distract him.

At least he's stopped biting now, he only does that when he's had enough milk and he just starts to play. No advice I'm afraid, but you're nto alone!

xxxCaz

And I am afraid to say this is one of the reasons I quit the lunchtime feed when she was about 12 months. They are such little beasts when they aren't interested and you are in a rush! I think I just used to persevere - almost in tears!
    The good news is that now that Jenna only has 1 feed while its usually still dark, and its lying down in my bed, she hasgot heaps better. No longer grabsmy boobies in the shower, and wont pull my top down anymore.

Such a relief - but I think as long as you are happy she is getting enough, I just cut the feed until she behaves herself. No point trying to give something to someone who isn't all that interested.

Indah has just started pulling at my top & nuzzling into my cleavage when I get home from work & I have gone back to letting her snack at that time, where as she was not feeding then, she now has a quick snack feed & I think it's mostly because she misses me during the day? So I just let her feed....
    She also has recently started feeding & slapping at my chest at the same trime, I try to hold her hands & that usaually stops it!!!

No hope of dropping a feed yet. She is way more interested in breastfeeds than solid food, unless of course the solid food is portable or something she shouldn't have.

Astrid, my 1 yr old was doing the whole hand shoved down the top and yelling 'boob' at the top of this voice thing...... But we managed to stop it by telling him 'that's not the way to ask for milk' (I never say Boob, don't know where he picked it up from ), then showing him to gently tap my chest. After a couple of weeks he didn't need reminding any more. If you're not happy with the chest pats, maybe another action would work just as well? Good luck finding something that works.

Oh and the wriggling? Haven't been able to stop that. If we're lying down he'll usually end up doing headstands, or if we're sitting, he'll wriggle till his feet are on the floor.......all fun for now!

Ha ha ha - girlies...thats so great...all those cheeky little bubs and their lack of breast manners. i'm actually one of the fortunate ones and apart from her helping herself if she showers with me, and the scratching as she sucks, my Ella's actually pretty well-behaved. it may have helped that we've dropped the midday feed so 1st thing in morn and last thing at night (only times she feed now) she's in a pretty relaxed mood. Thanks 4 the laughs

angelfish Guest

Argh, I get so annoyed with Milly's breastfeeding antics. She's always slapping, scratching, poking, pulling my hair, sticking her finger in my mouth, performing acrobatics etc if she gets the chance. And people think it's cute?! I am so sick of it that I am now setting limits. Eg she is not allowed to run around taking two sucks every time she goes past: if she wants it, she has to get up on my lap. I hold her hands down if she can't keep them to herself. And she is only allowed to suck, not pinch, flick or otherwise play with my nipples. Aren't I harsh ?

I can only imagine what my poor mum went through. She bf'ed all of us for 18 months, that's me, then twins, then another!!!

One of my first words was 'aboo' which meant a boob, or feed me or whatever and I was pretty insistant so she tells me!

I think Angelfish has some good ideas. I'm all for gentle parenting and letting the child decide what's right, but a child with no concept of boundries is not fun for anyone to be around. Of course babies are babies...but at what point does a cute baby become a handful of a toddler?

i do the same as angelfish. and if shes really more interested in playing she gets booted off