Thread: Crazy GP, BFing toddler and yeast infections!

Default Crazy GP, BFing toddler and yeast infections!

Hello, I am a mostly happy, slightly frazzled BFing mummy to a 19 month old boobie monster! We do the 'don't offer, don't refuse' and while sometimes I think I would like my boobs back I instinctively feel that I am doing the best for my bub and she'll stop breast feeding when it is right for her.

I recently went to the doctor because I thought I had thrush (sorry if that's too much info!), turns out I apparantly have a "heavy candida infestation" and the doc wanted to give me some oral medication. When I told her I was still breast feeding my 19 month old she said that I shouldn't be because I will get osteoporosis and my teeth will fall out. WHAT??? I asked her why the WHO recommends feeding until 2 years of age she said because they are quote "f***ed" and that it is really bad for the mum to feed for so long. When I said that I felt my bub would be hard to wean she said go cold turkey for a week and use something called "Pain stop" to sedate her.
    And I thought I had finally found a good gp! How can women make educated choices if their GPs are giving them incorrect information? Grrrrr.

I have no intention of stopping feeding, but has anyone heard that long term breast feeding can be detrimental to the mother?? I have upped my vitamin intake, especially calcium and make sure I have a balanced diet. Also the doctor has said that I will have thrush until I wean my bub and can take strong medication to wipe it out. Anyone have any suggestions for the thrush that I can do whilst breast feeding? (Cannesten cream seems to help for a few days and then it comes right back despite all my best hygenic efforts)

oh my goodness!! the only thing I have to say to that is find another GP. I am stunned,,,

Firstly, she needs her head read - I have never ever heard of a GP speaking such bull**** to be honest. I know there are some iffy ones out there but that takes the cake. And the stuff about thrush is just rubbish. I would recommend you get some probiotics into you. Start off with fast-tract and then move onto In-Liven - both are 100% organic and are perfectly safe to use while BF and you can even give them to your little girl too. I swear by it - as do many other BellyBelly members. You can purchase them here ONEgroup and some great info about both Fast Tract and In-Liven is here http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...tality-inliven
    HTH

Completely outrageous! Don't walk - run to another GP. I would go so far as suggesting that you make an official complaint to the College of GPs. Longterm breastfeeding is the normal state for human mothers and babies. You don't need to do anything special while you are breastfeeding except follow a normal diet. In fact, the body uses nutrients more efficiently, including calcium, and after breastfeeding there is a "rebound effect" so that the net effect is that breastfeeding mothers have stronger bones and formula feeding mothers are at higher risk of osteoperosis. The course of action suggested for weaning is child abuse.
    For information on ring Rodney Whyte at the Monash Medical Centre Drug information line on (03) 9594 2361. I feel sure he would advise you you can safely take the medication whilst breastfeeding.
    Warm Regards
    Barb

OMG!!! I can't believe that.

Do everything Barb said including making the complaint. Nothing will probably happen to this GP but you can't just put up with that sort of treatment and not say a word.

Last year the House of Reps had an inquiry into breastfeeding and one of the submissions was from a GP, who is also an IBCLC, stating that doctors do not receive any education regarding breastfeeding and are therefore unsuited to offer advice regarding it to mothers who often go to them first when they need help. This is a sad illustration of how right she is. Maybe if more of us complained when given bad advice like this something might be done about it.

OMG that is disgusting!!
    How terrifying that this woman is probably dispensing breastfeeding "advice" all the time Please do complain, that is just not on. God knows what she says to sleep deprived mothers of newborns who aren't as confident in what they're doing as you are.

And a big pat on the back to you for letting that rubbish slide right off you.
    From a fellow mother of a 20 month old boobie monster...who probably won't wean for a long time yet either

I can't believe this doctor. people like this should be kept away from women. Oh, that makes me so livid. I honestly think that people like this doctor are a big part of what is wrong with this society.
    I mean, if she personally doesn't like the idea of breastfeeding a toddler, that is her choice, but to give you such rubbish and try to bully you into weaning cold turkey and to be so arrogant as to say that she knows better than the WHO (who is pretty conservative in their recommendations anyway). It's just plain unbelievable.

And what about the fact that the longer you breastfeed the more you reduce your risk of developing breast cancer? I seem to remember a number in the neighbourhood of 5% per year of breastfeeding...

I would complain, I would write a letter to the doctor, stating why you are changing doctors. Then I would write to the medical board and the College of GPs. It might not do much, but if more people do this kind of thing, we might not change their minds, but we might get them to keep their mouth shut on things they know nothing about rather than spreading this BS.

I hope you find a better GP.
    Sasa

Ishbel, good on you for recognising bad advice when you hear it. Please do report the doctor to protect other women who might not be so well-informed or confident as you. I am still bfing a 20mo and it sounds to me like you are doing a great job. Well done.

omg that is outrageous, i have never heard such rubbish. i suggest we all go and see her whilst breastfeeding our toddlers.... i would definately speak with rodney whyte, he cured my nipple thrush with diflucan 1, i had it with all my children and i rang him with my last and spoke with him, he is so lovely and breastfeeding friendly and got rid of my thrush, my hero. i think it is a great idea to write a formal complaint, this woman needs to be educated.
    PS i have breastfeed for a total of 9 years and still have all my teeth and bones are fine, lol
    good luck
    beckles

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I thought I should go straight to the source and I actually decided to write a letter directly to the doctor, letting her know kindly and courteously that the information she gave me was out dated and wrong and including some up to date info printed from the ABA for her to read. I am hoping that she will be inspired to update her knowledge and not give out this type of misleading info to other women. I can only hope!