Hi All,

Hannah and I have just returned from baby boot camp (aka Riverton sleep school). On our first day there, Hannah was seen by the registrar, who gave her a thorough check over. He told me she is fat. She is 8.3kg and 5 1/2 months old. I have been doing my best to breastfeed her on demand, and sometimes this means every two hours (ok...so it's usually every two hours day and night). On our discharge summary, he wrote "frequent feeding, excessive weight gain" (in my head, this read "bad mother, fat baby").

Ok..so I know she's at the 90th percentile for her weight (and under the 50th for her height) and she looks deliciously chubby, with rolls everywhere, but his comments have upset me somewhat. I know I shouldn't let his comments get to me, but he really made me doubt myself, and my competence as a Mum! Am I really overfeeding my baby? I was told that wasn't possible with a breastfed bub... When I mentioned this to the doctor, he corrected me and said that it's difficult to overfeed a breastfed baby, but it can be done (and apparently I am managing it according to him).

I have gone from feeling very proud to be the one to be helping Hannah grow up so healthy and strong, to feeling very unsure of myself, and kinda confused.