Thread: Demand feeding a newborn

Default Demand feeding a newborn

Jambin has been having some long naps during the day of up to 4-5 hrs .... I am demand feeding him, but worried about whether I should be waking him to feed at this early stage, to ensure my milk supply continues to develop and to make sure he gets enough nutrients to grow in these early stages.

So, should I wake him after a period of time, e.g. 3 hrs? Or should I wait for him to wake and ask to be fed?

Its a tough one, I used to give my DD 3.5 hours before waking her to feed just to make sure she got enough and hope that she wouldn't want to feed all night cause she slept and missed feeds in the day.
    But from what I remember I think she went thru times where she'd sleep large periods and then times when she would just cluster feed.

Cherie, I would wake him after about 3 hours during the day. This will ensure your milk supply gets stimulated. He's a big boy with lots of lovely fat stores so this is probably helping him out! I woke mine after 3 hours - just until my supply was nicely established. It will also help him to subtly learn the differences between day and night. I also wake mine around 10pm for a feed before I go to bed - but that is just my thing!

I had to put DS on a 4-hour schedule, even at night, after one week - but then, he was ill and being fed with an NG tube overnight (hey, he has slept through twice - now why didn't I think of it like that before?). If you don't want to wake him, could you express a feed after 2 hours (even if you end up dumping it) to stimulate your supply? That way you'll have refueled when Jambin does want a feed.

LOL, I don't have the freezer space, so it sits in the fridge until it goes off in this house!

Percy Guest

LOL! I had exactly the same question when Francesca was 7 days old - and then she woke up and just wouldn't sleep at all! Anyways I would wake him after 3 hours for a feed just to keep your supply up

When Jovie was a week old I would wake her at 4 hours. I didn't want too, but worried about it so I left it that long. Now we would be lucky to make it to 4 hours

i never woke to feed, i agree just express and freeze.

When Angus was born, the paed didn't want him going longer than 3 hours and then 4 due to his low blood sugar but once that fixed up demand feeding was ok. I was expressing after he fed anyway to stimulate supply as I had problems initially. Like Christy, we are now lucky to make it to 4 hours except for the first sleep of the night. I often express before going to bed and freeze to help keep my supply regular and in case that first sleep is a long one (he sometimes skips the 2am feed).

Thanks girls
    I ended up waking him after about 3.5 hrs and he fed quickly, then went straight back to sleep, so it sort of worked out well both ways - a still sleeping baby and fed too

Cherie is he alert in the times that he is awake ?
    It depends. Usually he's very alert - a few times today he has been sleepier, but I think that's because he fed while he was still half asleep, then went straight back to sleep IYKWIM
    Is he having good amount of wet nappies a day
    - usually about 4-5 at the moment (disposable), which the lactation consultant at the hospital said was pretty normal for his age. He had 2 poos today too!!!
    Is he a good colour ?
    I think so A beautiful pink colour.
    .... you're right Caro - I really shouldn't be worrying, should I?

It's weird - until yesterday, he didn't sleep for longer than about 1-2 hour stretches ... but starting yesterday afternoon, he has started to have quite long sleeps during the day (not during the night though )

I still haven't tried expressing ... I haven't bought a pump yet, but I'd like to try hand expressing, so that's a really good suggestion too.
    Last edited by Cherie; April 17th, 2007 at 09:43 PM.

It is up to you. I have woken DD after 3 - 4 hours during the day for a feed to ensure that she gets 6 feeds in a 24 hour period and then I let her call the shots overnight. We have had a regular 6 hour sleep overnight from about 9.30pm until 3.30-4am for the last 2 weeks or so (she is 6 weeks this Thurs), very nice for mummy to get a good sleep. I figure if I wake her during the day and she gets enough food in the daytime she won't wake so often overnight. As for supply, I have had no problems there.

Cherie, my Flynnie was a great sleeper in the early days and would feed every 4-5 hours. Eat, burp, sleep. Sometimes sleep for 6 hours at a stretch. One time he went 7 hours - I was really worried. He slept that much I worried he was brain damaged But my milk supply was good, it kept pace with him. I agree with Caro - if milk is flowing and bub is happy, relax If you are worried about milk supply while he is sleeping maybe use a pump and express a little?

I wouldn't wake them but thats me They say its good to wake them during the day to establish day vs. night but I honestly think 6 days old you needn't worry! Do you what you feel is right... you've been given some great advice!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Caro - they test babies under 2.5kg and over 4.5kg at the hospital where I had him. He was 4.64kg so was checked and was quite low (possibly due to undiagnosed gestational diabetes but who knows as my blood tests were fine at 36wks). They sometimes come back up v quickly but he took a couple of days so was in the SCN for the week. All fine now though.

I don't remember waking DS for a feed. I was told not to let him go more than about 5 hrs tho. And with the day vs night sleeps, some bubs take a little while to figure out day & night, but they get it eventually. I'd just go with it, especially if there's plenty of wet nappies etc. Have a long sleep yourself so you can keep up with the night feeds

I also agree - it's not long until they 'wake up' and then you'll be wishing they'd sleep! We went through quite a long phase of day sleeps being short (20-40mins) so enjoy it while it lasts

Tallon was tested for BSL too - prolly coz he was only 6lb and born at 37 weeks. They *****ed his little heel every 3 hours, but he was only low for about 24 hrs, it soon came back up.

I wouldn't wake baby either, unless it is over 5 hours since your last feed,then wake bub up, change nappy have a little play first to make sure they are awake and will feed well.
    I demand fed all of mine and it seemed to naturally follow a 4 hr turn around. Just a bit of trivia for you: In the first 6 weeks your body supplies enough milk to feed twins. So this is the perfect time to be expressing and storing and it will help to establish your milk supply. Don't stress he's only a week old (Congratulations by the way) he needs his sleep and so do you. If you rest well, eat healthy, drink plenty of water and feed often (4hrly as a guide, not regimented) and maintain that you shouldn't have a problem with supply.