Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formula Companies Pushing Toddler Milk

i wish i had the money to advertise breastfeeding!

Fee - If you want to wean then use infant formula until 12 months, after which it is ok to go onto regular cows milk. Toddler milk is not necessary, but some parents like to use it as it does have added vitamins etc. Toddler milk is only meant for kids aged over 12 months.

Fee Guest

Thanks for the explanation everyone.

I guess Cooper will have to go onto formula after 9 months. I can't see myself expressing if I'm wanting to wean him. Won't this just create more milk?!

Kirsty77 Guest

I'm now turned off toddler formula. I did did buy a tin and had opened it but after finding out how much sugar is in it I refuse to give it to Gemma.

fee i have returned to work and i am letting oscar self wean too so i just express at work once so my dh can feed him when i am away. although some days i don't get time to express so am just really full when i get home. i do express after feeds here and there during my home time so i have a supply for him. this way i haven't needed to use formula/toddler milk at all.

I'd give donations to help advertise BFing! FJ - get the ABA to put a call out for donations for advertising! LOL.

That ad makes me cringe tho. I don't understand why we feel we need to supplement our diets these days. If you eat healthy foods you shouldn't need to supplement. I've also seen on some doco that kids who are fussy eaters usually have some things they will eat, and often they get what they need from that.. if that makes sense. So we shouldn't stress if the kids won't eat their brocolli for a stage, coz they'll get it from elsewhere (so long as we're not offering junk as an alternative!).

I don't plan on using toddler milk at all. I don't see the benefit of it myself. Even if DS weaned early and had formula until 12 months, I'd move on to normal cows milk.. not overly processed cows milk with all that sugar! There must be other ways of supplementing their diet if it's a concern.

At the risk of sounding argumentative.. LOL - I really don't mean to be! just want to know if it's possible to supplement in the case of sore throat etc with soups like we have when we're sick? Can you boil up all the vegies to have the nutrients in the soup or mush em all up so it's easily drunk or swallowed?

Hmm.. it's all stuff I'm gonna have to keep in mind. Obviously I haven't hit this yet.. so I was just wondering how it could be tackled

regarding 'needing' solids, babys have an 'educational' diet from 6 months and actually get the majority of their nutrients from breastmilk therefore i tend to agree, i wouldn't be worried about my kids not having much else other than breastmilk at 12 month.

brooke also want to let you know my kids don't eat junk either, and are/were breastfed most breastfeeding mothers offer a varied healthy diet as do ff mums i presume. if it is not to be about breastfeeding and formula feeding mums lets make comments about what a mother has done and not mention how they choose to feed their baby cos imo it encourages an us and them situation which isn't helpful to anyone.
    beckles

I believe there is a place for food supplements/vitamins provided you are deficient in those vitamins in the first place - but I question the sensibility in making those products sweetened and putting unnecessary additives in them.

aaagghh I just saw the print ad for karicare gold this morning . Its got a very *scientific* diagram of about 20 glasses with a caption explaining that this is how many glasses of cow's milk a toddler would need to drink a day to get all its RDI of iron as if a toddler will only be getting iron from milk not any other source

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12