Thread: Fulltime work and B/feeding routine

Default Fulltime work and B/feeding routine

Hi,

I am returning to full-time (unfortunately) work at the end of January and my baby will be 5.5 months My dilema is that I don't want to give up b/feeding - the times I can feed her are 7.30am and any time from 4.30pm onwards. I have collected a huge supply of expressed breastmilk that I have stored in my freezer and this can be given to her at around lunchtime (I will be expressing once at midday with an electric pump at work).

My question is this: do I introduce solids two weeks before I go back to work to tide her over between feeds or is it better to hold off on the solids and wait until she is 6 months which will be mid-Feb? I don't think bubs can wait more that 4 hours b/w feeds at the age of 5.5 months - right? Does anyone have any ideas on establishing a routine whereby I can at least give her 3-4 breast feeds (7.30am, 4.30pm, 8pm and any night or early morning feeds) - am scared milk supply will dwindle by dropping more than 1 feed. also, don't know how effective food from a spoon will be.

Firstly hun, I'm sure you will be able to keep breastfeeding your DD, it just might take a bit of organising. Even if you decide to introduce solids early (which isn't recommended) she may not be ready. I started at about 5.5 mths as she was showing all the signs - but she hasn't really been 'eating' until this week and she'w now 7 months, so I wouldn't count on solids tiding her over.

How often does she feed right now? I would say a 4 hourly routine is workable but that would mean a feed at 730, 1130, 330 - so it might mean 2 bottle feeds of EBM when you aren't there. I am doing the same thing - going back part-time but I will have to have her brought to school for a feed as she won't take a bottle.

Sorry I feel like I'm not a huge help but there is also information on the ABA website about working and feeding. [URL="http://www.breastfeeding.net.au/"]HERE[/URL] is a link to the ABA website and just follow the links to working and breastfeeding. They also have a pamphlet you can get about it. HtH and good luck!

Lilli, I have twice returned to work and continued bfing. Jack was 7 months and while I had introduced solids, he had no interest yet, so basically was having bm only. Tom was 8 months and was eating solids quite well. But in both cases I was able to continue bfing with no need for formula at all, so I know you can do it.

WRT starting solids in your case, I would wait until 6 months and then see how it goes. Solids don't really add any nutrition to their diet at that stage, they just start learning tastes and textures, so I don't think she will need the solids to keep her filled up. I would just make sure you leave extra ebm with the carers for the first few days (I kept a stash in the day care's freezer) in case she wastes some the first few days, but I think she will be fine. By that age it would be fine to give her some cooled boiled water also if she did need more but I think if you already have a good stock of EBM that will all you need.

GL with it. It is hard to leave them at first, but it does get easier. And I'm sure it's harder on us mums than on the bubs!

Thanks for your advice, my other question is "should I be the one to first introduce her to solids?" - I can first give her solids over the weekend and my mum (who'll be looking after her) can continue - or is it better if I give her solids for the first two weeks as suggested by others, and then let my mum continue?
    Tanstar - you mentioned that ur bub will be brought to school - I'm a teacher (secondary) too - but I don't think I could cope with having the baby there for a feed - I plan to express quickly in a private room - also there's always a million things to do isn't there - seeing students, p/copying etc - how will u do it?

Mantaray - did you notice ur supply going down because one or two of ur feeds were expressed?

Lilli, I really don't think it matters who introduces solids first, unless you would be sad to miss that "first". If you especially want to do it yourself you could start on a Saturday. I don't think it will affect your DD at all though.

WRT supply, no I didn't have any supply problems at all. The body is amazing with it's ability to adjust. You will even find that your body will know that it's a weekend so you will be feeding more often. I had all the same concerns as you before I went back, but in all honesty it ended up being much easier than I expected.

Lilli - I am a primary teacher and I still haven't quite worked out what I will do if she needs to be brought up to school for a feed. I think I will sort out a quiet room that mum can bring her to before Im even there then I will get in, feed and go off to do the other billion things I need to each lunchtime. It will be tricky to work around yard duty etc. She will be 8mths plus by then so Im hoping she will more readily take a sippy cup or the solids will be in full swing. I'm really lucky to have a supportive principal who has even offered her office for me to feed in when I did some CRT this year. but CRT and working part time are 2 different things.

I hope you can work out some kind of arrangement and with expressing, I guess you will find that you will find the time and be super organised! We mothers and teachers are experts at time management so I'm sure you will find a way. Is your school supportive to you in expressing? Do you have a quiet,private space where you will be able to do it?

As far as the solids go - MantaRays advice is great (as usual !) I don't think your DD will notice and unless you want to be the one giving it to her first it probably won't matter. The first few times are pretty funny - but not alot goes in or down really!
    Good luck hun!

I have asked my playground duty to be recess only and therefore will express each lunchtime, a private room with a key has been made available next to our staffroom. I suppose I need to get bub into a more regular routine of 4 hourly feeds instead of sometime between 3-4 hrs so that it'll be easier for my mum. Thanks again everyone for ur hints n tips!

Hi,

You will be able to continue to breastfeed just fine, and your school should support you. Re feeding solids, leave it til 6mnths, and then you start - get the photos taken of "the first solid feed" for the family album.. But, believe me, the novelty wears off.
    The best investment you could make are two booklets from the Australian Breastfeeding Association - "Breastfeeding women and work" and "Expressing and Storing breastmilk" And a subscription would be a great idea for yourself as well.
    From personal experience I returned to full time work as a secondary school teacher when my firstborn was 6 WEEKS old and he breastfed until he was 4! I won't pretend it was always easy, but it was doable, and definately easier after 6mnths

Warm Regards
    Barb