Thread: Gastro, lactose intolerance and breastfeeding

Default Gastro, lactose intolerance and breastfeeding

Hello I am in a bit of a pickle and was hoping someone here would have some experience with this.

I have a 20 month old daughter who loves her BF, not the greatest solid eater and we co-sleep.
    We are just getting over a bad bout of gastro. She did lots of vomiting and not so much poo wise(she had a sensitive gag reflex as a bub so I don't know if thats part of why) we got through it okay and shes a happy chappy and not dehydrated, but shes still vomiting occasionally. I am thinking she has lactose intolerance from the gastro rather then it still being gastro. Her last few poos have been milky and very on the nose!

Yesterday my milk had picked up more and she started vomiting lots again, then today she was fine until tonight.

I am going to try and get her in to see the doc tommorrow (public holiday last 2 days) but I don't have the greatest faith in them so wanted to post here too so I'm a bit more informed of my options when I go in.

Shes still not going back to her solids only wanting a taste ( not that she had a great deal anyway), its not a lack of appetite she just doesn't want it I guess.

Obviousely her gut needs to heal etc but I really don't want to stop BF. At the same time I am sick of her vomiting in my bed!

Otherwise she is happy, only time she is irratable/unhappy is just before vomit and shes full of energy. She has lost maybe 1/2 to 1kg, which may seem like a lot but considering shes a tall, solid 15kg girl who is off the growth charts it is barely noticable hehe

Has anyone else had this problem?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

If you read this article from the ABA you will see it's a myth that lactose intolerance babies (if she is one) will need to go to formula. She will be much better off being breastfed still:

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...stfeeding-baby
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks Kelly. I have read that (did a search here first before posting). Great article