Thread: HELP!! Not sure what is going on...

Exclamation HELP!! Not sure what is going on...

This is for anyone I guess...

DS is 14.5 months old and I'm not sure if he is trying to wean or what!?! Up until now he has been an absolute boobie boy - and I have really enjoyed the experience of feeding him especially since we struggled in the beginning but got through it.

Lately, he will ask for boobie (he pats my chest when he wants it) but then only sucks for 5 minutes or less and then hops off. Even at bedtime he has trouble settling to feed and go to sleep, and I do still feed him during the night and the same thing can happen.

I have had a bit of a caffeine binge over the past week (lots of tea which I don't normally drink as well as WAY too much dark chocolate) so I'm wondering if the caffeine has changed the flavour of the milk maybe??? I don't usually consume anything with caffeine in it so I'm just not sure.

Or is this DS way of trying to start weaning himself? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, advice, support would be greatly appreciated! I'm not really sure I'M ready for him to wean - but that is something I'll come to terms with!

Hi Heidi, all i can suggest is that you are right about your suspicions about the chocolate/tea or that maybe there is a hormonal element... it's common for babies to become fussy at the breast when AF returns but I guess she has returned for you by now? Other than that maybe your flow has reduced and he is frustrated.... caffeine is dehydrating... have you increased your water intake? Have you tried giving the ABA a call? They offer free advice that might be helpful... Good luck and congratulations for feeding your son so well for so long

Just an update for anyone...
    DS seems to be feeding MUCH better today but was running a slight temp just before dinnertime and it feels like he is getting a molar on the top right side as it is quite swollen so perhaps that was the problem all along.
    AF has not returned yet as DS has still been a fairly frequent feeder and I'm also taking the mini-pill but perhaps that is on the horizon as well - UGH! My last AF was two years ago exactly today and I've enjoyed not having to deal with it!
    I will try to actively increase my fluid intake as I should have thought about the dehydration aspect of the caffeine - and I have noticed for the past couple of days that it has taken a bit longer for the let down to come so perhaps he is just getting frustrated.
    Thanks for the advice - keep it coming...