Thread: how often is your 1 year old breastfeeding?

Default how often is your 1 year old breastfeeding?

Hi,
    How often are your 1 year olds breastfeeding?
    My DD is still having 4 per day and unlimited feeds through the night (we co-sleep)
    Just curious what others are doing? Thanks for sharing!

Hi
    My DS has just cut back to 1 feed during the night at about 5am. Unless he's sick, then it'll be every hour or 2.
    During the day it differs. Some days its every 2 - 3 hours others its only for his 2 sleeps.
    It all depends on the day.

We cut out overnight feeds at around 10 months I think and DD had about 4-5 bf a day at that stage.

At around the 12month mark we went down to 3 a day on average, with the occasional extra 'snack' snuck in every now and again. At 15 months this seems to have held pretty steady for us.

It does increase if DD is sick or teething, both overnight and during the day and I am pretty happy with that.

At 12 mths DD was having at least 4 bfs a day and then maybe one overnight (but not many, she slept solidly until about 16 mths when she started waking 2-3 times for a bf).

But she was a greedy eater when it came to solids by that age - especially at breakfast time!

DS was having 3-4 a day, no night feeds since about 10 months when he started sleeping through.

He is now 16 months and only having 2 but this has been dictated by my supply since falling prg.

Around 3-4 a day and twice over night at 12 months.
    Now at 15 months, it's morning and night and probably 2 overnight, I could do without the overnight feeds, oh well, one day!

He's almost 1, and at least one a day, sometimes two.

Hi

At 12 months my babygirl was still breastfeeding:
    when she woke up (before I went to work),
    when I got home from work at about 5pm
    and about 2 times during the night.

It wasn't until the long weekend last October when she was 14 months old that DH got up to her during the night and over 2-3 nights we stopped the night feeding because I was so tired going to work & feeding 5-6 times during 24 hours, having to get up twice at night.

Somewhere between 14-18 months she stopped the afternoon feed - maybe I just stopped offering it and she only had a feed in the morning when she got up.

Then during the long weekend in January when she was 18 months, I stopped offering the feed every morning, and she only seemed to look for it every second day and then eventually stopped. She would probably have continued if I kept offering....she still talks about it.

It was funny though, if she had missed a morning feed one day, the next day she would be standing at the shower waiting for me to get out to have her feed! Very cute!

One thing I did notice, was that if I mentioned to co-workers etc that she was still breastfeeding they would say 'How old is she?' and 'She is still feeding because you don't want to give it up' and a friend of mine had a similar experience. But like I said to my MIL, I don't have to stop feeding, because it isn't bad for her and to be honest I do miss it, especially knowing I won't have any more babies.

Lastly, when DD started daycare at 12 months, she got sick about a month later and wouldn't eat anything except have breastmilk, and so fed every 3 hours again all day every day when I was at home so they still change if something else is going on.

Goodluck and enjoy!

I love threads like this, makes me remember I'm not the only one It's so nice to be able to "Admit" that I still BF in here, knowing that I won't be looked at in horror...

Anyway, at 12 months, my DS was having 6 BF's in a 24 hour period, 4 during the day, then one at about 10.30-11, then a middle of the night one.

I did cut out his overnight feeds from about 13 months, although not consistently, sometimes he still has one if he's sick, or if he just won't go back to sleep. But mostly now, at nearly 20 months, he's a morning & bedtime feeder. Being sick throws the routine out a bit, can take a week or so after he's better to get back to just the 2 a day.

I am "guilty" of not wanting to give up though, but then DS doesn't want to give up either, so who am I to insist . I love that I'm still able to be BFing this far along.

Now I'm wondering if we are doing enough feeds a day then, and we're only at 9.5months old.

We do 4 bf's a day- big one at wake up, then 11am, 2pm - both these are not big feeds, and a big expressed bottle before bed (he sleeps through). I was thinking of soon cutting it back to 3 a day before he is 12months, as he doesn't seem to want it and he will be going to childcare a couple days a week soon and I wanted to start to get into a nice easy routine for that.

So now I'm just wondering if you's think that's enough then? I know every bub's is different, and he is happy and healthy (weight is small but fine - following same percentile still). Is there a usual set minimum they should have?

Bec my kids did 4 breastfeeds a day for a long time, as you say every baby and their demands are different, and every mum and their supply is different.

Addie is 14 months old and we do 3 a day, I am currently trying to cut out the lunch time feed. I do first thing in the morning and to go to sleep at night. I will keep going with these two till either she gives them up or I will see how I feel about it when she turns 2!! She started sleeping through the night at 11 months so was lucky to give up the night feed then. It has made a huge difference to my energy levels too(not being woken!) My DH got up to her the first couple of times when she woke during the night so she has forgotten about the bb in the night time.
    I think just go with your gut and what you and bub want. My girl would be feeding 4 times a day still if I let her, but I need to cut back for my energy and feel like I have a bit of me back. I do love the feeding though I just need to stick with twice a day.

Thanks everyone for your replies! It really helps me to know that there are others out there who are doing a similar thing I agree with bhoysgirl, its lovely to know im not the only one (after being told by GP i was feeding too much).

I also got told by my GP and MCHN that I was feeding DD too often when she was almost one and I was still feeding her 4 times a day. I started to feel as if I was doing something wrong so quickly cut down to 2 a day - just morning and night (and the occasional night feed if she wakes up and won't go back down without a feed). We are still on 2 feeds a day here.