Thread: I think she is weaning

Default I think she is weaning

Hi All,

I am so happy to report that Eva and I have been bfing for 13 months. I honestly thought that we would not make it to 6 months. She has however had a top up formula feed from 10.5 months. This helped with her weight gain and constant night waking and I am glad we did this because it actually extended our bfing journey to now.

In the last couple of weeks Eva has reduced her feeds to 2 per day and in the last 3 days she just isn't interested.

AF has also returned and all my previous hormonal problems have returned. I feel that I need to start back on my herbal remedies to help me get my thyroid issues under control. Problem being I can't take these whilst bfing. So I have decided that it is time to wean.

How does one wean? My thoughts were to just not offer.

I would also like to thank everyone here at BB for wonderful support.

Bek, babies can be fussy at the breast for a while after AF returns. Also many medications, including natural ones, are safe while bfing. It doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the end. Have you given Dr Rodney Whyte a call at the Monash Medical Centre Drug Information line? The number is 03 9594 2361. He is the absolute expert on medications while bfing and will be able to tell you whether or not the herbs you want to take will be ok.

If you do decide to wean, it is important to do it slowly so you don't get mastitis. Mums usually drop one feed at a time, over the period of a few weeks so that the supply can adjust a bit at a time. With each feed that you drop, you can replace with milk, water, solids, or something else - such as instead of feeding to sleep at night maybe just a cuddle and a story (for example) - and don't make the same mistake as me and replace every feed with milk - at that age 3 cups of milk a day is the most that they need, and often less is better so they don't fill up on milk instead of food. If your little one is a bit resistant to dropping a feed it can be tough. There are some things that work for some mums, like putting a bandaid on their breast and saying "breast is sore, no feed this time" or something like that, or just by explaining that she is a big girl now and so she will drink more from a cup than the breast. At your DDs age she might be young to understand it, but it can still be worth a try as they often understand more than we realise.

GL hun.

What are your thyroid isues and what do you take? (I'm just curious)

I'd double check about whether it's ok during breastfeeding, most things really are. But otherwise what MR says in regards to being gradual about it, even though it sounds like you don't have many feeds to drop at this point. Maybe start by not offering and see how you go, and then offer other food/drink or some sort of distraction. Keep an eye out for lumps and such.

Congrats Bek on 13 mths of bfing!! What a fabulous start you've given your DD. Make sure you get one last photo to commemorate your bfing relationship.

Thanks Jennifer.

Manta - Thanks for your advice. According to the naturopath some of the herbs I should be taking are not good for baby. I could try and get a list of the formula and double check with Monash.

Marcellus - I have a sub-clinical under active thyroid. Plus oestrogen dominance, insulin resistance, mild PCOS and very bad PMT. I suffer really long and painful cycles. I find the herbal tonics this particular naturopath really do help. My doctor is monitoring my thryoid because clinically my levels are not bad enough to medicate. Thanks v much

Ideally I would like to keep going and Miss Eva is only having 2 feeds per day at the most. Some times she just refuses to feed at all

That's really interesting. I had subclinical hpothyroidism for years - thyroiditis diagnosed in hindsight based on symptoms and the swelling in my thyroid discovered after it was removed. Also PCOS. Bloody endocrine system. No PMT at least!

Anyway, Miss E is not a baby anymore so the herbs may not be so bad for her I know the effects on our babies of medications we take declines markedly as they get older, so might be the same deal. And if she's feeding infrequently too there's less getting to her. Just a thought.

All the best