Thread: I think we're weaning...

Default I think we're weaning...

I had been thinking of actively though gently weaning DS 'soon', but kept putting it off, lol. I had in mind that I would wait for his 2nd birthday and do it then, enough time before the new baby comes and enough time for him to settle into our new house, routine and town.
    But it seems he had other ideas, lol. He had been only having 2-3, sometimes 4 feeds a day. But definately always a night and morning feed. He then started not worrying too much about his morning feed. But often still asked for a drink through the day plus his long bedtime feed. Then his bedtime feeds started to get shorter and he fussed alto on one breast until he refused it completely. Then one night I just didn't offer it and layed with him in bed and he went to sleep! Over the last week or so I haven't been offering and he's only been requesting occaisionally if he is really upset and occaisionally when he gets up in the morning and we have snuggles.
    I am happy for him that it has been a gentle journey and that we got most of the way to my goal of 2yrs breastfeeding, and it was mostly his decision to wean, with minimal encouragment, but I'm sad, my baby is growing up and doesn't need me so much anymore! Though I am looking forward to having another breastfeeding journey soon, and I'm hoping it will be as enjoyable and wonderful as the one with DS was.

Congratulations on just about making it to your goal! Well done

Its a sad time when they decide not to breastfeed anymore, my DD self weaned around the same age. It felt wonderful to know that she stopped when she wanted to, i hope my DS gets the same opportunity.

Congratulations on your breastfeeding journey with your DS! How nice that he seems to be deciding to wean on his own , but sad too - I understand .

Ah hun, you got so close!!

My DS2 did the same thing to me at 21 months, so I didn't reach my 2 year goal with either DS, and I know how it feels at the time However now, I have peace knowing that both my boys chose their own time to stop. I know that after the initial sadness, you will look back and be proud of yourself for a job well done. And your wonderful relationship with him will still be there In the meantime, it's ok to grieve a little!

That's wonderful. He chose the time when he was ready

You did get so close to your goal. What a gentle end to the bf'ing journey though. Be kind to yourself hun, you & DS have done so very well. xx

In Janie's sig she has a great phrase

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened"

You know you have done a fantastic job

Well done, Kel!! I can't believe Liam is nearly two. You have done a fabulous job bing him for this long and I look forward to hearing all about how it goes with #3.

Aww, thanks ladies. I am really proud of where we have gotten. He asked for a feed this arvo for the first time in two and a half days and I gave him one, though I didn't see much swallowing, lol! And he was only on for about 5 mins all up, but when he got his first mouthful of booby, his eyes closed in that 'OMG that is soooo good!' way. It was so cute. I will miss the early morning huggles and him touching my face when he feeds and even him playing with my tummy fat rolls, lol! It's such a bitter sweet time.