Thread: Irregular feeding times?

Default Irregular feeding times?

Hi all,

I am fairly new to breastfeeding (first baby is just over 4 weeks old) and am feeding whenever she wants it. This seems to be at totally irregular times, anything from 45 minutes to 5 hours apart (the ones at night are usually some of the longer ones, but not always).

I am just wondering if this is normal? Did / do your babies have more regular feeding patterns this early? I'm not planning to change what I'm doing at this stage, just curious really O

fenella well done on bf your bubba. my experience is that bubbas feedings are quite irregular initially - actually mine are always irregular but i know some bfing mums say their bubs settle into a routine. it's great you are happy to demand feed and you sound really relaxed which is fantastic. oscar is 4 months and still hasn't got any regular pattern although in saying that i don't watch the clock at all around feed times so i don't really know i just do what you're doing meet his needs when he asks. well done you.

love beckles

Fiona,

Tamsin sounds a lot like Olivia as a newborn: feeding whenever she was hungry or thirsty, rather than by the clock. Sometimes I would feed her on the hour, other times it would feel like forever between feeds: totally irregular!

It settled down into a regular pattern by the time she was about 4 months.

Charlie, on the other hand, is a lot more regular, and I kind of feed him every 3 hours through the day, as he is so placid and never cries or gets unsettled, so he never "shouts" for food, IYKWIM? But he always takes the boob when I offer it!

Just goes to show all babies are different, and to really follow them & your maternal instinct as to when they want/need feeding!

Hows the feeding going now Fenella?

Matty was always irregular and still is! He is now 9 months old and had 4 feeds today (in between his solids) and 6 yesterday! I can never tell day to day with him, but that's okay, I love the fact he will tell me when he needs a drink.

Indah's the same, it could be 2 hours, 3 hours or 6 hours!???
    Whenever she is searching for boob, I get it out, as sometimes she will just be cranky coz she is female! 8-[

Thanks for your replies everyone - it's nice to know it isn't just me! Things are going pretty well at the moment for us, still all over the place though

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Very common, very natural and very gentle. Well done on following your heart and your bubbas needs. Great stuff mum!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.