Thread: Lazy/leisurely feeder?

Question Lazy/leisurely feeder?

My one month old DS seems to be a bit of a lazy (or leisurely) feeder. I use a nipple shield, which works well for both of us. DS feeds really well for the first 5 minutes, taking really big gulps and constantly sucking and swallowing. However, after that he generally starts to slow down, and often starts falling asleep. I usually take him off to burp him or change his nappy to try and wake him up again to finish, but it only works for the first few sucks, then he often starts dozing off again or just doing very small, lazy sucks.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting him to feed more efficiently?

Hi Selina

I notice he's almost 5 weeks old by your ticker. Has he been this way since birth? What have his weight gains been like? Does he have plenty of wet and/or dirty nappies? How long have you been using nipple shields for?

The reason I ask is that while nipple shields can be helpful in the short term, when used for too long they can affect your milk supply as they decrease the stimulation that your baby gives the nipple. The more stimulation, the more milk you'll make. This doesn't necessarily mean your baby isn't getting enough milk, but you would need to consider this as part of the whole picture.

Is there any reason you are continuing to use the shields? How often is he bfing during a 24 hr period? At his age, 8 feeds in 24 hrs is considered normal.

He may be getting quicker with his bfing, but it's best to eliminate any potential issues first off!

Thanks for your reply Jennifer.

He has always been this way with his feeds. Some feeds he's lazier than others and some feeds he's really good. He's definitely getting enough (he gained 540g in 8 days one time!), and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies.
    I'm using the nipple shield because I have very flat nipples. I have heard that it can mess with your supply, but that is not a problem - I have heaps!!!
    I'm wondering if he is getting quicker feeding, cause in those first five minutes he guzzles it down, and sometimes sounds like he's drowning in the stuff!

Some babies do get the hang of bfing efficiently more quickly than others. If he is bfing well and gaining weight, etc, I wouldn't worry about the length of his bfs, more with the number that he's having. Especially if you feel your supply is bountiful. It's normal for the rush of oxytocin to make both mum and bub feel sleepy (I lost count of the number of times I slept blissfully in the armchair when DD was tiny!).

Have you tried bfing him without the shields now you've been doing it for a while? Some mums with flat nipples find the shield helps to draw it out and once this has been done and baby is a bit bigger he can attach more easily.

I've tried a bit here and there without the shield, but both DS and I have gotten quite used to it. I have found that it's easier to attach him without the shield once I've used used it a little bit to draw the nipple out. I'll set my mind to it and we'll try to wean ourselves off the shield one day.

Selina, that's the right approach to start with when you have the confidence to try weaning off the shield. Once he's feeding, remove him, take off the shield and reattach.