Thread: Length of b/f relationship & your circumstances

Default Length of b/f relationship & your circumstances

I feel that its no acheivement for me to be b/f 15mths and not showing any signs of stoping (or slowing down) as I've really had no problems - I'm in awe of those who have to fight through supply probs & mastitis.

I barely drink (so no incentive to stop so I can go out), I don't miss wearing 'pretty' bras (something other ladies in my Mum's group said when they weaned), 'cause I didn't before pg, DS didn't have any medical problems or tounge tie etc.

I don't have sensitive nipples either - do you reckon that this would be a common factor for extended breastfeeders?

Hi,

Funnily enough, researcher Karleen Gribble, who is probably one of the foremost researcher into extended breastfeeding found otherwise. Extended breastfeeders had often overcome heaps of problems to feed for a good long time. For myself, I can't tell you the number of times I weaned my first son. But he or I kept coming back to it and despite problems we fed for over 4 years.
    Regards
    Barb

I had heaps of problems the first 6 months, and I think it was that perserverance that makes me want to continue as long as I possibly can.

Yeah I think an argument could be made that the mums who have it fairly easy might take it for granted a little more.
    I've had a breeze of a time with my second baby and like you I don't intend to stop yet because I don't have any reason to.
    But I can see the POV that if you've fought through lots of obstacles to keep your breastfeeding relationship, you more inclined to not want to give it up so easily.
    Interesting topic.

Went to hell and back to breastfeed (thrush, difficult birth, lazy feeder, carpal tunnel, negative feedback from many around me etc). Whilst I would like to wean and have tried to, she really does not want to give it up. There was a make or break point with us whether she could have rejected the breast for the bottle, but in the end she chose the breast.

I am a bit in both camps. I had problems in the beginning with DS1 and also ongoing, intermittent nipple pain throughout. Sadly he self-weaned at 14 months but I think it was bcos I was pg and otherwise we would probably have fed for at least 2 years. With DS2 I had no problems and am still going strong at 14 months. I thought he might be starting to self-wean, but he seems to be wanting more feeds over the last couple of days, so I think we have more bfing ahead of us - hooray!

I've not had a problem b/fing, but sometimes other circumstances get in the way. I would like to wean her soon but she really, really loves her boobs. The other is that I have to work. I have been lucky that I have had flexible starts at work, but if I didn't it might be a different story. Her morning boobs are her fave, and if she misses them, (sleeping late while I have to leave) she gets very demanding when I get home.
    At one point she was walking around with my bra on moaning boobs, boobs!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2 View Post
    At one point she was walking around with my bra on moaning boobs, boobs!
    OMG lulu the poor little petal! That's priceless!

With my 1st I don't recall any problems I had typical first time mum syndrome though and thought he wasn't getting enough so started supplementing with formula at 6 weeks and gave up at 3 months for selfish reasons,,

2nd bub. he was ill and was on meds that made him sleepy. We expressed and breastfed for 7 weeks till I went to expressing full time till he was 10 months old I only stopped because my milk started to dry up. even though I had been told it wouldn't last long if I expressed full time

3rd bub. he took to the breast like a true champion and we never looked back. He self weaned at 21 months

4th bub. once again I have been so lucky with an awesome feeder. born at 36 weeks we were told she would have trouble attaching. 10 hours after her birth she had her first feed attached with 10 minutes has been feeding well since. Was a nipple biter for the first 2 days which caused a "scabby nipple" but that has healed nicely and we are having a wonderful time breastfeeding. I hope to continue to 2yr and beyond