Thread: This may be a really spaz qn, but...

Default This may be a really spaz qn, but...

Hi,

Am i still doing infant led feeding if I try to get him to hold out like 20 mins once i first think he is hungry?

It's not really so he goes longer to fit into a pattern or anything, but because if i feed him straight away he doesn't feed very well. Instead he plays around going on and off again, and if i wait until he is properally hungry he feeds better?? It wouldn't be so bad if i didn't have nipple issues that really get exacibated from the way he has started feeding!

But i believe in infant lead feeding, so i don't want to not being doing that...

Also, he generally goes 4 hrs between feeds himself anyway (but i feed him earlier if he needs it), and now he is sort of feedin at the same time each day, which is good for me as i can at least have some idea of how my day will pan out so i can make plans, so i have kinda been encouraging this... is that bad??? I don't hold out on him feeding or anything (other than the 20 min thing above, but that has nothing to do with the time, more with his feeding technique), but at night i might try and feed him again for a top up before he goes to bed so he will wake up and the right time to carry on the pattern the next day... Now that i think about it i'm worried i'm doing the wrong thing???

Is infant lead feeding just feeding them whenever they want? Even for comfort (i find this really hard to do with my nipple issues!) when they are not hungry??

Also, just a side question... I heard that you can't overfeed a breastfed baby, i was wondering why not? The reason i was told was because they will stop sucking or throw up anything extra, but surely bottlefed babies do that also, and apparently you can certainly overfed them.. so whats the difference??

Thanks!
    Yael

Hi Yael,
    Just quickly, the differences between BM and formula is that BM is metabolised & digested so much quicker by the baby than formula is. BM will always meet your babies energy requirements perfectly... however I believe it is more possible to overfeed a baby on formula.
    Although as a side note, I too have heard that even babies on formula will stop stucking or throw up if they've had too much....
    But I think as a general rule, FF babies put on weight quicker then BF babies, which I guess could be another reason?

And due to the composition of formula, it takes a lot longer and more work for the babies to digest it as its heavier and more filling in their bellies, - thats why they usually recommend a 4-hrly gap between formula feeds.
    Whereas a baby can have BM as much as often as it needs, which is also really good for keeping up the mothers milk supply.

Hey all,

stopped doing the top up feeds thing as it wasn't working anyway... i've decided over the past week just to relax, let him be, feed him whenever he wants (although i still make him wait like 10 mins (just wait til he grouches a bit first so he feeds properally), and stop looking at the clock! I've been feeding him a lot more, i think he is having a growth spurt! - he is already beginning to look like he should move out of 00 wondersuits, although in seperates 00 he looks dwarfed... but i cant believe another growth spurt - the boy is huge!

Does anyway know of a nice gentle way to try and get them on a schedule a little bit, or should i just let him do whatever he wants.. he kinda wakes around the same time each morning, and i think he is happier for a bit of a routine.. its just the afternoons/evenings that are crazy!

Also, i've noticed my supply is a little diminshed (although has picked up with the 1 to 2 extra feeds he is squeezing in each day), i think from the minipill! I had such a big supply before that i dont think he is suffering now cos he stops b4 the are fully fully drained, but i dont leak inbetween like i used to.. He gained a little less weight (like 210g p/w instead of 250g) over the past 4 weeks.. is that just him settling down, or should i do stuff to try and pick up my supply??

Gosh being a mother is so confusing!!?? (but i love it anyway!)

Yael

Hi Yael, as far as I know when you stop leaking in between feeds its not a sign of diminished supply so much as your body producing milk more efficiently. Most women notice that thier boobs are softer and less leaky at around three months.

I don't think it's bad to have a gentle routine whether BF or FF, as far as I know infant led feeding means basically feeding your baby when he is hungry and not making him fit a pre-determined routine or schedule. From the sounds you are not doing this, you are just following his natural routine and I don't think that can be a bad thing - as long as he is happy then there really isn't a problem. Trust your instincts.

Bon

My breasts stopped leaking between feeds from about 12wks!!! Although every now & then after INdah has had a bit of a growth spurt & fed more they will be leaking in the mornming, but havent worn pads during the day for a long time now!!!

I think your doing an amazing job & he will gain less weight, as he moves more & is awake more & maybe needs a bit less etc... As long as he is gaining your doing your role perfectly as a Mummy!!!!