Thread: Pleeease don't drop any more feeds!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Pleeease don't drop any more feeds!

Is this normal? C was always a very booby baby but today I've just realised he's only had one breastfeed all day and it's almost 3.30pm here.

I know he loves his solids, and over the last few weeks has increased his food intake quite a bit, after an initial slow start. Concurrently his demand for BM has dropped markedly. He has started drinking water from a sippy cup after his meals, but not a lot of it, certainly not enough to replace the BM he used to have.

He still has a couple of BFs overnight and one first thing in the morning, but except for one BF about 30 mins ago, which I offered and he had in a very lacklustre, bored manner, he hasn't wanted anymore! If he goes back to sleeping all night (he's teething now) then the night ones are going to go too!

I just remember my DD self weaning to a sippy cup at 9 months and am now horrifed that Charlie may be starting to go the same way. I'm soooooo not ready for him to wean!

Last edited by sushee; May 10th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Sushee.. I hope he doesn't wean yet. Would he bf more if he had less solids? Or maybe offer it instead of water? I don't know but hopefully something works. Just tell him he has to have his booby milk for a bit longer yet lol

Amanda,

with the solids, what I've been doing is putting the spoon to his lips and if he opens his mouth and tries to suck the food in, I then give him the food. And the minute he's full and stops opening his mouth and starts shaking his head, I stop feeding him. But he's gone from a couple of teaspoons to about 4 heaps tablespoons per meal at the mo. About a heinz 4-6 month bottle's worth each time. And just the last few days, esp at dinner, he wants more than that even! I usually give him him sippy cup after, but last night offered him the boob instead (thanks for the idea) and he took it, but no much, coz I suspect he was full!

I figure today I may just offer hiim the breast more often. Yesterday I was busy and didn't even realise he'd not had any BM. He didn't seem to want any either, for that matter. He puts himself to sleep in the arvos, so all I did was feed him his lunch, burp him and put him in his cot.

I don't think he's missing out coz I reckon he's getting rounder lately as well! but, more for me than anything, I would love if he kept BFing just a little longer! Just to 12 months! And if he wanted to go longer, I'd be stoked too!

i would slow down on the solids. breast milk is way more nutritional than solids as it is a complete food. solids at the age in the breastfed baby is just for taste and exploration, they get very little nutrition from them.
    are you offering breastmilk before solids?

I usually do BF him, about 30 mins or so before his meal. That's how I know he's hungry, coz he has both sides and still whinges. I then start making his food up. Yesterday I BFed him in the morning, then went and did my grocery shopping. He was grumbly at the shops and so I fed him his solids without the BF beforehand and when we got home, I put him to bed. He woke at 2pm maybe and was playing in his cot, until about 2.30pm. At 3 pm, I brought him out and was playing with him and had a 'let down', which is when I realised I hadn't BFed him since about 6 in the morning!

I then offered him the bb, but, like I said, he was really lacklustre and easily distracted. Which is when I had a mini panic!

ETA mind you he's had 3 BFs today already. I'm offering and he's taking it, so go figure! I think I'm more concerned that he doesn't seem to want it like he used to, iykwim?
    Last edited by sushee; November 29th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.