Thread: qn about tandem feeding

Default qn about tandem feeding

Not that i'm considering this - but i've always wanted to know:

If you tandwm feed through pregnancy and beyond, do you produce colustrum at birth, or the milk of the same consitution that you had previously? And they say breastmilk changes depending on the age of your child to give them what they need, so is your breastmilk more suitable for a newborn or for the older children?

Anyway, i was just thinking if you have no colustrum and the milk if more suited to older children, aren't you denying the newborn something it critically needs a lot more than the older child does?

Not that i'm attacking or anything, i've just had this thought in my head for a while.. but i could be wrong in my assumptions, (cos we all know what they say about those .

Anyone know?

no you still make colostrum from mid pregnancy. some kids wean because of this.(the bigger kid LOL).
    if the elder still wants to bf after the birth, they should only get to feed after the nb. so then the milk usually comes in faster, maybe engorgement, (supply = demand remember)but the elder child can relieve this by feeding for you.
    theres lots of info on the aba website - article - breastfeeding pregnancy and beyond. i haven't tandem fed (yet) but thats what i read there
    hth's.

Hey Joh,

Thanks for the reply...

So if you make colustrum mid preg then does the older child get what they need nutrionally, or should they have cows milk??

Might check out the ABA website... not that its something i'm planning on doing (no b/c i hav such a prolem with it per se, but because of perceived energy levels etc)

well isnt colostrum richer than bm?

yeah, but maybe they need more water content cos they are running around than rich concentrated colustrum?

I don't know, i was just thinking maybe our bodies aren't designed to feed 2 at once??

well an 'older' child wouldnt necessarily be exclusively b/f?? i guess it may be a consideration if you fell preg when your baby was under 6 months old?? (but still bm is the best nutritionally, even colostrum just you produce 'less' of it...???) - but *most* women who exclusively bf for at least 6 months should be enjoying natural family planning i would think?? (ie, no ovulation??)
    i think they are designed for it or it wouldnt be possible! but yeah have't thought about that debate too much

my nearly 2 year old (birthday in 9 days??) also has juice and water as well as bm.will be interesting to see how she goes with this preg.

ah this is interesting(from the aba article)
    What about my milk supply? If your baby is under nine months of age, you eat a healthy well balanced diet and offer the breast whenever your baby seems to be interested, you may find your supply is maintained. Breastmilk remains a major part of your baby's diet. If you feel your baby isn't getting enough breastmilk, you may want to speak to your health adviser. Some mothers find their supply diminishes in response to the hormones in pregnancy.

To wean or not to wean? If you choose to wean your baby who is under 12 months of age, you will need to speak to your medical adviser about a suitable substitute. An older baby may be able to drink other liquids from a cup, avoiding the need to introduce a bottle. If your child is old enough, you could explain that you are feeling sick or that your nipples are sore. You could delay feeds, or your child could feed for a shorter period. The Australian Breastfeeding Association booklet, Weaning, has information and suggestions on weaning children of all ages.

If your baby or child chooses to wean during pregnancy, it is normal to feel guilty - 'Did I hasten the process?' or grief at the end of the relationship. It may help to try and focus on the new baby and the relationship you will have together. Some mothers report that their 'weaned' child returns to the breast after the baby is born.

It may be that your baby isn't ready to wean, no matter what you try. Perhaps reassessing your needs at this time may help. You could try weaning more slowly or try to encourage shorter feeds. You may even decide not to wean.

Yep, you definitely still produce colostrum - I can tell that's what K's getting now. He's not terribly keen on the taste of it mind you LOL but he still has at least 2 feeds a day. If bub's over 12 months then he'll be getting a good deal of nutrition from other sources in his diet, plus water or whatever from a sippy cup. The colostrum that the older child gets is a bit of a bonus, I think... would be great for their immune system! If bub's under 12m then you'll probably need to introduce formula if your milk supply drops (as a friend of mine had to do when she got PG again when her bub was only about 4m old!).
    Last edited by Angel; August 7th, 2007 at 02:18 PM.