Thread: was told by gp to start bub on solids at almost 5 months

Default was told by gp to start bub on solids at almost 5 months

was told by gp to start bub on solids at almost 5 months today... he has been colicky since birth and a big bub.. i am just concerned that if he is still having trouble with my breast milk what will even rice ceral be like for his tum. he feeds very often and up every 2-3 hours at night which is very exhausting.. i just want to do whats best and not upset him any more. will i harm him trying the solids? i know solids does not mean he will sleep more but i wondered could he be hungry and wanting solids?any thoughts

Mackenzie started on solids at 4 months and she was fine. I'm sure your GP wouldn't have suggested it if he/she thought it would upset him. My GF had a really bad reflux and colicy bub and he started solids at 4 months and was fine. I don't believe you will harm him by giving him solids. Be guided by him, if you think it is upsetting his tum stop doing it and try again in a week or 2. The rice ceral is made up with water from memory and or breast mild/formula and you are giving such a small amount to start with. Remember milk will still be his main meal for a while so give it a shot and see how it goes. I remember being so scared to start solids and looking back the introduction really was very easy. Good luck!

Guccibabe ~ What was the reason your GP gave for starting Tariq on solids?? There is an article HERE in relation to starting solids. Bear in mind that it is written from the ABA's point of view. It is your choice and your baby and you will do the right thing for both of you . But at least by posting this you can get some view and opinions and maybe read up on it and make an informed choice rather then just doing what your GP has recommended. I know there are some rice cereals designed for bubbas from 4 months (as I have some in my cupboard LOL). Good luck and I'm interested in your decision and how it works for out for you!

Gucci - Purely from a personal perspective, I would be inclined to try it and see how it goes. I realise the WHO guidelines say six months but in practice, there have been many people who have started their children on solids before that time (under the guidance of a health professional, similar to yourself). Rice cereal is a good start as Lea has said as it is a low allergy risk. You are also still BFing him which is an additional health bonus. Let us know how you get on.

angelfish Guest

Hi Guccibabe, I would definitely be asking your GP to explain further why s/he has made this suggestion. In general, there are no good reasons for starting solids before six months and several good reasons not to. As you know, nothing is more easily digestible than breastmilk. But of course Tariq is an individual and not a general, statistical baby, so it's possible that he's the exception. So I'd talk to your doctor again to establish whether there is a specific medical reason for him to start solids. If you do decide to start on rice cereal, you can always start it very gradually with just half a teaspoon at first, so you can observe to make sure he doesn't have any bad reaction.