Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has waited beyond six months to introduce solids and why?

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, we were advised to start solids between 5 and 7 months, even if just a spoonful a day by our child health centre nurses. In Townsville over the last couple of years there has been a steady decline in parents starting their babies on solids before 10 - 12months old, with parents coming up from down south being told that breast milk only is best for the first 12 months. Our nurses are constantly telling us about babies who at 12 months are having jaw problems because they didn't learn to chew/eat earlier when their jaws were developing. I'm not sure how much of that is true as alot of GP's have been giving lots of conflicting information lately. It's one of the main reasons though that we have started our daughter on fruit/vegetable purees. Olivia was ready for solids though and absolutely loves anything we give her, lol. (touch wood, she's always this good an eater, lol)

I gave Maddy her first taste of solids about 2 weeks short of being 6 months old. She'd been exhibiting teething signs since at least 4 months old and was sitting up on her own well before 6 months old. She really wasnt all that interested, so I didn't push the fact. Just fed her a teaspoon or so once a day for the first week and wasn't bothered if she spat it out or if she completely refused to eat it.

Maddy's slowly building her appetite up and I still booby feed her on demand. She doesn't eat 3 meals of solids a day just yet but she's getting there slowly even if she doesn't like vegies or meat (aside from mashed potato!) *L*

My boys were big boys, and were on solids (just rice cereal) from 10-12 weeks (i know i got in trouble, but they were fine.) They were 9 and 8 pound at birth, and are both still big for their ages, they just needed more than milk in their stomach. Anneliese will be diff, being a prem... just wondering, do you go by corrected age to start solids??

There is a lot of mis-information around on this topic. I also found the blanket "6 months" rather arbitary. Then I went to a seminar with a very qualified dietician who said to watch out for the signs - losing the tongue-thrust reflex (where the tongue pushes things out of the mouth), getting teeth, and reaching for food that others are eating. The first two are more indicative than the third. She also said that (and I have read this since too) that iron is best absorbed from breast milk, so people who tell you that they need iron are not necessarily correct. In fact a baby will absorb more iron from breast milk than from iron-fortified baby cereal.

Jack was very slow to take to solids and has really only eaten well since turning 1. But he is healthy and always put on weight so I never worried (he was still bf until 14 months). And apparently they really only need food from 12 months, prior to that it's getting them used to it so that once they need it they are getting it. Lots of bf babies I know of have been much slower taking to solids. I believe this is a sign that they are getting what they need so have no need for the food. I would say go with this and read the cues.

Sorry Simone, I don't know the answer to your question but my guess would be use the adjusted age.

Good luck,
    Melanie

My second was and still is big, she was born 9.75 pounds but she has never been keen on solids since I started her at 6 months and has been pretty much exclusively breast fed besides having a 'taste' for her meals until recently (she is close to 16 months). She just recently started coming good then the last few days to a week has become fussy and seems sick of what was once her favourites. She has always had a sensitive gag reflex and isn't a good chewer but then considering she only has two molars so far which are for chewing I figure thats how it should be anyway.

She is very healthy, active and alert. Probably close to 14kg and a couple of months ago she was definately over 80cm (I think she was around 82cm when I measured her a couple months back but I don't know how accurate that was), she has always been almost off the percentile charts, so I doubt it is hurting her!

Hi. I didn't start my son JAcob on solids till 7 months but then he didn't actually start eating properly till 9 months. He wasn't ready. I offered them every few days but then when he was 9 months old he started properly. Jacob is already a big boy and I felt that he didn't need the extra food as at that time he was sleeping great and was very content when awake..

I guess you could look a few different thing.. IS bub sleeping the same and happy when awake or always searching for more food. Thats the one thing I have found with breastfeeding thats hard. the whole not knowing how much they are getting.

Even now my son is 1 tomorrow (wahwah) and he still doesn't eat alot. He has breakfats lunch and dinner but I don't even bother with snacks as he just isn't a big eater. Dinner time and Breaksfast are his main meal times of the day..

Good luck and whatever you decide to do will be the right decision for you and your baby

Thanks for all the suggestions girls!

I saw my GP last week (for me, not Lucy) and we weighed her while I was there. She's only 5.75 kgs, which means her weight gain has slowed down a lot. However, my GP asked me if she seemed happy, alert, active, was she still sleeping well. To all of which the answer is yes, in fact, as far as the sleeping goes she's extended herself by another hour until 5 am or later in the mornings (last feed at around 7-7:30 pm). So there's no need to introduce solids at this point, 'cause she certainly isn't hungry. She's still having up to 8 feeds a day as well.

The point about getting teeth and losing the tongue thrust reflex is a good one. Just a question, how can I tell if she's lost the tongue thrust reflex without actually feeding her solids?

I'm actually tossing up what to do here now. Tallon just doesn't stop feeding at the moment, and through the night he's waking for a full-on feed every few hours. I feel like I have a newborn again! It's going on longer than what a growth spurt usually does, which is what's making me think it could be that he's ready.

I really want to wait until 6 months, but I'm getting the feeling he may be getting ready

Jen - Tallon's weight gain has slowed down too.. altho no-one's said anything about it. I can't understand how it can slow down when all he does is eat! LOL. He weighed 7.25kg on Friday (clothed).

Might do some serious research about this starting solids thing. *sigh*.. stinky nappies here we come. LOL.

Oh.. as for tongue reflex.. not sure.. Tallon seemed to be a bit different when he had panadol on Saturday, and when he had a little taste off DH's finger a couple of weeks ago, he seemed to be tasting it correctly with his tongue.. not pushing it out or anything.

Oooo Ivana, how exciting. Sounds like Tallon is almost there!! You poor thing with the frequent night feeds. I think your instincts are right on here.

yeah.. i guess i shouldn't force him to wait the recommended 6 months. It's not like he'll have a LOT of solids to start with anyway. hehe.

Am going to read up on everything in the next couple of days.. and will go and buy a highchair too!

Jennifer, apparently you can try putting a spoon in the child's mouth (with no food on it) and see if the tongue pushes it out. You could probably do it with a finger or anything else as well. I knew Jack's reflex had gone but I can't remember how I knew!

Another good test of whether they are ready or not, I guess is if you think they are try a spoonful of baby cereal and see if they take it. I started Jack at 6 months but he didn't progress beyond a spoonful of cereal a day for a while and it was months before he was eating well (maybe at about 15 months from memory), so I think I could have started later.

Also, their growth rate will slow down, especially as they get mobile. Good thing too, Jack doubled his birth weight in 3 months. If he'd continued to grow at that rate he'd have weighed more than me by his first birthday!!

Good luck!
    Melanie

Good tip on the spoon or finger, Melanie. Now that you mention it, I have been sticking my finger in to feel for teeth and she doesn't seem to be shoving it out with her tongue like she used to. Maybe she's starting to lose that reflex. She doubled her birthweight in three months too, but it wasn't much to double!

But I'm still going to wait until she either starts getting teeth or wakes during the night because she's hungry and I'm not enough!

OK the waking through the night thing... Tallon slept all night last night.. so I'm gonna put off solids again! yay! LOL. I really would prefer to wait until he's sitting unassisted. He can stare longingly at my food for a bit longer

I started Tyler on Solids at 3 months, he wasn't taking his bottles at all so i thought i should try the 4-6 months food. He took to it straight away. He's not overweight, doesn't have allergeies (not that we've noticed yet) and overall a very healthly boy.
    I have a few friends who have also started their babies b4 6 months and have had no problems at all, we all have healthy kids in the normal wieght range with no problems.
    So like everyone else is saying it's totally up to you when you feel comfortable and when bub wants it.

ellie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12