Thread: am i doing eerything right

Default am i doing eerything right

my son who has only just turned one only like puree foods, i've just got him liking thicker puree's but keep being told he should be eating properly.
    DS 1 was the same but ate lumps at this age, by 18 months he was eating everything!
    he eats up to three meals a day, has up to 4 bottle a day, also he has reflux, but is never in pain just a happy chucker. i think im doing right not rushing him as he'll just gag when i try to get him to eat lumpier food, and will gag each mouthful.
    doctor wants to see progress, well he is eating very thicker stogier foods, where only a few weeks ago he would even open his mouth to it. what do you all think am i doing things right or slowing him down i do worry, but i thought if i do things when he's ready and so far when he eats things he wants not a single gag not even when i swapped him to thicker foods he didnt choke or refuse, so to me i am doing right.

Keeping him from choking = thumbs up in my book! lol

I can't really help beyond that though, I did Baby Led Solids with DD, so she was eating what we ate from 7.5 months.
    Have you tried giving him some bread and butter fingers to nom on at all? Or some well steamed veg? Broccoli si good, it is interesting lol Also carrot fingers etc.
    Doesn't matter so much that he eats them necessarily, but that he can get used to having other textures in his mouth and get a new feel for food.

he hates texture lol that why he chokes, wont even hold a rusk stick! but i let him play and stick his fingers in his puree to get him more interested! but i think i've done well with him only 5 chokes his whole time eating and he's been eating since 3 months! he just loves puree thou, im going to add lumps soon, he loved the roast we gave him the other night as i been making homemade thicker foods. i just feel like i might be letting him down, he big and healthy 11kg or more in weight lmao! so he's very healthy. i bought one of the mesh bags to give it a try, i hoping he'll like it and hoping that will get him wanting different textures. also he only has cut 2 teeth on the bottom, which he only cut a couple of months ago lol.

thought i would share he's not eating lumps but will eat a fredo lmao! my mum gave him one last night and gobbled it down taking bites and sucking on the bites he took, i panic more than my mum i suppose shes been through it 5 times! i still cant trust him with it but let him have a go lol.

DS was also not great with textures but now at 18 months he copes with most things. Have you tried giving him one solid thing with his meal? For example a piece of brocolli which has been steamed with his usual meal. Ask him to pick it up one day and mash it in his fingers, maybe ask him to kiss it the next day and give it a lick the next day and finally take a bite. When he does one of these things make a huge deal out of it so he gets heaps of attention from everyone. DS isn't the best eater at the moment so we do this to try and get him to eat different things. He seems to thrive on the attention. Also ds loved those baby mum mum things that you find in the supermarket. Its a solid rusk type thing but it disolves in the mouth.

thanks for the advice he wont hold much thats what im trying to teach him he likes to lay back and let us do all the work! he's very odd wont eat a single rusk stick and driving me nuts DS1 loved rusk sticks i am going to try sandwiches soon but when i tried a lump the other week he had it on his tongue didnt even get down the back of his throat he vomited everywhere i have a bad gag reflex and DS 1 was the same until 18 months. also another thing i will try are chips DS 1 loved them but so far DS 2 wont touch them i suppose ill have to be brave and persistant.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    Keeping him from choking = thumbs up in my book! lol

I can't really help beyond that though, I did Baby Led Solids with DD, so she was eating what we ate from 7.5 months.
    Have you tried giving him some bread and butter fingers to nom on at all? Or some well steamed veg? Broccoli si good, it is interesting lol Also carrot fingers etc.
    Doesn't matter so much that he eats them necessarily, but that he can get used to having other textures in his mouth and get a new feel for food.
    LimeSlice, I was just browsing this thread as I have a 6mth old and we're currently struggling a lot with introducing solids (I've just posted a new thread on this today actually begging people for wisdom!) You mentioned "Baby Led Solids" in your post.... I'm really curious. Can you explain what this means and where I can get more info about it?

Thanks so much
    Amber