Thread: Citrus Fruits for 15 Month Old

Default Citrus Fruits for 15 Month Old

I can't seem to find much information on this so I'm interested in what others do with their toddlers.

My DS only drinks water and milk. I would like him to start eating citrus fruits but don't want him to have a whole orange, grapefruit - mainly because I have heard it isn't good for their teeth. He does have about 3 mandarins a week.

This morning I squeezed the juice from a quarter of a ruby grapefruit and put it into his sippy cup with a little water.

My questions is: Is citrus fruit fine for a 15 month old? Is it fine to give it in juice form? The more healthy fruits and vegetables that I can introduce him to the happier I am but I'm just not sure if oranges and grapefuits should wait.

Never heard of waiting for citrus fruits.... unless the information has now changed, as it can ;P Can you call a MCHN and check with them?? I cant see an issue with your DS eating three mandarins a week

I will mention it to my health nurse next visit.

I'm not concerned about the 3 mandarins. I'm more thinking about adding grapefruits and oranges on top of the mandarins. With regards to stripping enamel from their teeth, how much citrus is too much?

Default Citrus Fruits for 15 Month Old

I think eating citrus fruits would be fine, especially if he drinks water with it which will rinse his mouth. The juice may stick more o teeth and would offer less fibre than fruit pieces but is probably fine as a sometimes drink watered down to a ratio of 1 part juice to 5 parts water.

I wouldn't add citrus to water, that's constant acid around teeth all day, I'd give citrus fruit then rinse mouth with water, and never brush teeth just after eating citrus fruit!!!

Yeah Olive that's what I did. I put it in his cup and then when he'd drunk it I switched it with a plain water cup. Good suggestion about not brushing teeth. I wouldn't have thought of that.

We've given DD mandarins for ages, and at about 12 months started sharing my breakfast grapefruit with her. She loves it, I give her segments and she chows down. Then she has a bowl of cereal, then a cup of water to get all the gunk off her teeth