Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How are fussy eaters created?

I think that some kids are just fussy eaters.
    Im lucky my DD is great, usually, but on days when shes not hungry, we dont push it
    The only time is if we are having dessert, she decides she doesnt want dinner, but I insist on 3 more bites before dessert

Completely agree with fussy eaters being born that way, although my definition of a fussy eater probably differs from the norm.
    My son eats a list of 10 foods. NO fruit, no veg, no real meat, no sauces, no pastas or rice and the list goes on. We started him on purees when he was a baby and I send a fair share of the blame that way. He has always had quite a few quirks and issues with texture which is a huge roadblock when it comes to his eating. We've seen many doctors and tried everything we could possibly think of and research but we've had very little luck. I'm now refusing to stress out about it because he's happy, healthy, very intelligent and growing all the time so he must be going alright.

My DD on the other hand, we did BLS with her and she'll have a go at anything and everything. Sure, there are a few fruits and vegies she'd prefer not to eat, but at least she tries everything.

Food is fun until they are 1.

I was hoping that introducing a wide variety of foods and textures would mean DD is less likely to be a fussy one but its making no difference at the moment. She just wants yoghurt, Rafferty's cereal or creamed cauliflower.

Incidentally my mum was obsessed with licorice when she was preggers with me but I can't stand it! Maybe it was overload.

nia- my son wouldn't eat puree and had to do everything himself from 6mths. he also has huge issues with texture and strong gag reflex. we too have a small list of foods he will eat. so don't beat yourself up on the puree thing. I doubt that's it. I have done the same with 3 kids and 2 are great eaters 1 is FTT fussy.

It's easy to say but they won't be like this forever.. Tastes change even as an adult so don't be too worried. Just keep experimenting and trying the new foods at least a dozen times! Mine def got it after a lot of perseverance!
    Last edited by leesha; October 9th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Our 4 yr old 'likes': pesto pasta, home made pizza and chips for dinner. That's about it. So he has to wait a fair while between meals before he gets something that he likes and no matter what we try/say/do, he doesn't even try what's served up in front of him. As a baby - 18 months old, he used to eat EVERYTHING. We thought 'ha, what great parents are we?' and then he slowly started dropping foods that he previously liked. argh! Now he influences his 3 yr old brother who copies his behaviour. Breakfast and lunch, fruit etc, all fine, just dinners are a nightmare. I've even got photos of him with spag bol on his face and eating lasagna and vegie soup.

Apparently, he'll eat more as he gets bigger and hungrier but that hasn't happened yet. He goes to bed without a back up meal and isn't phased.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12