Thread: Starting Solids

Default Starting Solids

Ok...

I have a situation. Last monday Jacks started solids and he was LOVING it. He was even lunging for the bowl inbetween mouth fulls, and now, for the last 4 or so days he HATES it. He won't open his mouth for anything, if I do manage to sneak a little bit of something in there he does this cough thing like you do when you taste something horrible, or he gags on it. This morning he even pushed the spoon away from himself with his hands. I have given him sweet potatoe (we started with this), pear, pumkin, rice cereal and rice cereal wih banana in it. I have tired it all mixed with breastmilk, water, at room temp, cold, warm, runny like gravy or like apple puree... nothing! I just can't get him back into it & I don't know why and it's driving me nuts.
    Healthwise he is his normal happy little self, he has gotten his two bottom teeth in the last week but they haven't seemed to cause anything eventful. We've only had 2 bad nights in the last 2 weeks and occassionally he just needs a little panadol at night time before bed.
    So, WWYD? Should I keep offering him different things until he finds something he likes, keep offering him the same stuff? Maybe only half a BF then offer slids then BF? Or just leave it for a few days and start all over again? I make all this pureed food and I'm literally just throwing it all straight back out again and it's driving me bonkers. I have a little boobaholic on my hands!!
    Sorry for the rant.. but TIA for any advice

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Teagz DS1 was just like yours, he started on solids loved it for a week to 10 days then started refusing and pushing away, I kept offering for a week but still refused, MCHN suggested I dont offer anything for 2 weeks (remember food is fun until they are 1). When I re introduced he loved it and took to it like a machine!!!! He was 8 months by time he took solids well.
    Both my boys are boobaholics!

Good luck

I wouldn't worry about it, he's only 6 months old. Just offer it and if he doesn't want it - no biggie. Maybe try some baby led solids that he can grab with his own hands, might restart his interest in it if he can play with it a little first

Maybe just leave things in his reach, as Arimeh suggests, but otherwise leave it for a bit. He'll be back when he wants it.

Arimeh, tell me about BLS. ^^; I gave him a bit of broccili a few days ago and he sucked it to death... (not interested in his mush, but he'll lunge and things on my plate, go figure) until a peice broke off and he gaged on it and I scared the crap out of him by jamming my finger down his throat to get it back up
    I'm terrified of him choking on it.

Eden rarely chokes on something - but if she does gag (and gagging is different to choking) it is normal, and they have the ability to bring it back up on their own, i never shove my fingers in her mouth at all. I speak very calmly to her and just tell her to "cough it up" and she does - every single time.

If you are stressed though and think he is going to choke, it probably isn't for you - just because he will be able to feel your tension.

FWIW, I've done it with DD1 as well when she was 6 months, and the only thing she has choked on was a piece of orange a few months ago - and she's 2 now. Oh and she got that up herself eventually too

Gagging is ok - it might give you some comfort to learn the difference between normal gagging and choking (ie, when they actually can't breathe). Since they have control over their intake, babies are less likely to choke with BLS than when spoon fed I think.

Gagging is the baby's natural reflex to prevent choking - your little one gagging is a great sign that he knows just what to do. It is scary at first for new mums but you soon get used to it. It might surprise you to know that babies are more likely to choke when they are spoon fed than when they feed themselves finger foods - allowing them to control it themselves is the key.

There are some threads on here about BLS if you are interested in trying that - check these out: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...atter-4-a.html and http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...uidelines.html.

As the others have said, some babies are ready by 6 months and others aren't. There is no harm in not offering food every day, or even every week just yet if Jack doesn't seem interested. With BLS though, you can offer and if he doesn't eat it's ok. By playing with food, and smelling it and when he's ready, tasting it, he is learning about textures etc and it helps them become better eaters with a variety of foods earlier. Not to mention easier than pureeing everything and having to prepare separate meals!

Thanks MantaRay... I do worry that because I'm not really offering it "routinely" it may affect him taking to it or not.

Babies, hey? They like to work your patience right from TTC the little buggers ^^;

Teagz we often forgot (or didn't bother) to offer food every day in the first month or so. It has had no bearing on DS' eating.