Thread: Muslim Mums

ghabeba Guest

Default Muslim Mums

Slms to all

I have just recently moved to the sunshine coast and i am finding there are not many muslims around here. I am currently pregnant and will be giving birth in 9 weeks.

Are there any pregnant muslim ladies or mothers on the sunshine coast? Do have get togethers? Where are all of you based? I dont have any family here and just wanted to know what procedures or customs would one follow when having a new baby. I'll be having a little girl. Where would i go to have this done.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post
    Salaam

Salaam,
    When bubs arrives it is sunnah to call the adhan in her right ear and then Iqamat in the left as soon as possible after the birth.
    The placenta and umbilical cord should be treated with respect and buried if possible.
    It is mustahab to remove the baby's hair on the 7th day, and silver, equivalent to the weight of the hair should be given in charity.
    You are excused from fasting for 40 days after the birth or longer if it interferes with breastfeeding.

ghabeba Guest

Dachlostar! You are truly a star! Thank you so much for your prompt response.

I am Muslim but didnt grow up as a muslim, however i am going to raise my little girl as a muslim. DH is not muslim but is more than willing to introduce islam into our home once bub is born. I dont want to force him into converting as i think its a decision he needs to make by himself as he will then learn the religion without me forcing him.

This is going to be hard staying all the way here at the sunshine coast but hopefully i will find more muslims here and they will offer advice.

This is a stupid question but i need to ask one more question do i have to get someone like a imam to read in her ear or can i do it?

Keep well
    Shukran

I think that you or any other Muslim can do it

When bubs arrives it is sunnah to call the adhan in her right ear and then Iqamat in the left as soon as possible after the birth.
    The placenta and umbilical cord should be treated with respect and buried if possible.
    It is mustahab to remove the baby's hair on the 7th day, and silver, equivalent to the weight of the hair should be given in charity.
    I am not muslim (or religious at all) but I thought this sounds so lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by dachlostar View Post
    Sister,

I have never heard of that before. Is there a Hadith that says that?

As far as I know there is no hadith. The scholarly opinion is based on the fact that it's part of our body and has nourished the baby for nine months so we need to dispose of it in a similar way to any other body parts.
    Welcome to BB

Since majority of us give birth in hospital, the placenta, I doubt is given much respect. It's disposed off immediately. Nevertheless, on a personal note, I am not following the belief of scholars. I don't pay attention to opinions that are given without the support of the Quraan or Hadith.

I'm not sure where you are but in Westmead and Auburn hospitals they have 'take-away' procedures in place for the placenta because there is a large Muslim population locally so there is a lot of demand for it.
    I don't think that any scholar gives advice without daleel and in the modern context ijma' and qiyas are valid sources of fiqh just as much as in more traditional times.