Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studying with a Newborn

Default Studying with a Newborn

I am 23 and currently go to university. bugs is due at the end of January. I just though i would start a thread whether those of us who will be, are currently or are considering, studying with babies could talk.

personally i am worried that maybe i am being to niave in thinking i will be able to continue at university - particularly when bugs is a newborn. does anyone else have any experience with this or anyof their own concerns?

Hi Misty,

I am going to be applying to uni for next years intake, but I am only going to do my course part-time, as with full time I would have to put Aidyn in daycare 4 days per week, and I really dont want to miss out on that much time with him.
    Are you going to be studying fulltime or part-time?
    My personal opinion is that with a newborn it would be very difficult to study fulltime, and to achieve the sort of marks you would usually be capable of. But this is just my opinion based on what it was like for me when Aidyn was a newborn.
    Is there any way you can change your course to part-time, or even defer it for the first 6 months after your baby is born?

Hi - I am at Uni part time, for the second time and I have a 3.5 year old and another one due at the end of the year (good timing). I've decided to take next year off, cos even part time (two half days a week) is too much to put a three month old into care. I will look at doing a subject a semester off campus so I can do it from home and try and keep my mind in study mode, and not just nappy and puke mode !

There is a woman in my course, doing it full time, with a four year old, a three year old and just had her third child earlier this month - she's taking five weeks off and picking it all up again !!! Her husbands work is very flexible and he stays home when she is not. She decied that she would rather have two years of hell instead of four of semi hell.

Does it matter that I'm not half of a younger couple !!!

Barb.

I will be studying externally (do most of the time anyway as it is more flexible) and will definately not be doing anymore then 2 subjects in the first semester (maybe less depending on the workload). I am just starting to get scared that maybe that will still be to much (at least to begin with). but my problem is that nearly all the subjects I have left only offered in the first semester, and I may never leave uni (I have been there for five years already!).

I think I should try and have a Talk to some of the Lecturers who take the first semester subjects and see if they can tell me what kind of workload it is, etc. I am just woried that I will bite off more then I can chew IYKWIM.

My mum was at uni full time when my sister was born. She took some times off but then was actually able to bring her (my sister) to some of her classes and lectures.

Maybe studying part time or by distance might work well for you?

hey guys
    Im currently studying my Dip Ed and have deferred this semester. I had planned to do one or two subjects but realised how quickly they grow and just wanted to enjoy and so am having the next 6 months off. But am going back next year for first semester and planning on doing two subjects and maybe three for second semester. But will see how Hendrix goes. I think it really depends on your babies temperament. I could have done a subject this semester as Hendrix sleeps a lot but im actually enjoying having a break from it. I did have to complete a subject from last semester as i missed the exam (having him) so had to do a supplementary assesment which took the form of a written assignment. I completed that with him being a four week old and it was pretty hard but manageble. Hope that helps.

Yeah.. at ECU in Bunbury.. (dont know how it works for all of them) you can bring your lil ones to class (under a year).. ofc.. you arent meant to disrupt the class or anything.. so I guess it mainly depends on your child, how theyd go there..

RUSERIOUS Guest

Default Tough

It's tough but do-able.

I finished a writing course in the 6 mths following my eldests birth. I put my head down bum up and made sure that when something was due, I studied or wrote that assignment. I tried not to leave things to the last minute because in my sleep deprived state, I don't think I would have coped.

Mihn Guest

I'm going back to Uni next year (Animal Science at LTU) and am thinking about TTC in 2007 so that bubs would be born after 2nd Semester exams (ie early Nov 2007). But that all depends on the universe's grand plan as to when it happens!

I started a Masters (part time) the year my daughter was born and it was easier that year while I was on maternity leave than when I went back to full time work+study+1 year old!!! would never have managed without supportive husband/family. I obviously haven't learnt my lesson, because I am starting a PhD in Feb and planning on TTC around Jan!!!! My only tip is BE REALLY REALLY ORGANISED and whenever you cook, cook double and freeze!

Yeah Brooke - im going to study again next year but its external study!! I couldnt leave Hendy yet either for any long period of time!! It is a diploma of education!!

I have a friend who started studying with a newborn and three year old. She was doing medicine so it was a full load and long days. During her lunch break she would have to run off and express milk so even that time wasn't a break! Her husband was o/s at the time, but her MIL lived with her to help cook dinner etc. while she studied.

Now we haven't communicated for a few months (for obvious reasons she is too busy), but she was loving both the baby and her study last time we did.

If you love what you study it is possible.

DS is 3.5 months and I've just resumed classes in Danish for 4 hours, 3 nights a week. There is also a fair bit of study expected in between classes as its an intensive course. But I think its manageable.

DH is looking after the baby on those nights.

We have been 'practising' for a few weeks leading up to the start of the course, so all 3 of us knew what we were in for. I would go out and study in a cafe for a couple of hours and DH would do the whole bedtime routine on his own, so when I had my first real class yesterday, it was an easy transition for all of us.

brookey - good luck with uni next year. it is a hard decision isn't it - being torn between wanting to finish and to stay home with bubs. it is a bummer that prac takes up so much of your time. i am lucky, my degree doesn't require me to do any prac. i have decided to do three units first semester next year and see how i go. i am lucky as i can take bubs to lectures and i can study externally.

Pietta Guest

Hello-
    I took a sememster off while i had Ryley and since then have been fulltime. I am very lucky though that DH and I are doing the same course and he is home full time too

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to say thanks for posting your experiences and thoughts with studying having a newborn. I have been ssoooooo encouraged reading them as this is the path I am taking. I was worried whether I would be able to continue studying at all and worried that I was being naive to think that I could.

Thanks for sharing, it has given me confidence! :flower:

cazoraz Guest

ooh can i join in?

I have just finsihed my third yar of a double degre, Bachelor or Arts/bachelor of education (secondary) at Monash. I have a 2.5yr old and a 5month old, and for some insane reason I didnt take any time off AT ALL this year!

So 1st semester I was a huge big fat pregnant lady but Lucy was in childcare while I went to uni so that was ok. Then I gave birth to Coleman in teh uni break in July, and started back when he was 2wks old. I just took him to class with me - the teachers were all really supportive, no-one minded at all! It was much easier than trying to leave him with my husband (who works nights) as he is completely breastfed and uni is 40mins away, so I just took him in his pram, fed him during class and then he slept the rest of the time.

I started off doing 3 subjects with the newborn & 2yr old but it was too much so dropped one and just did the two others which was fine, you just have to make sure you force yourself to do the work. Luckily I thought ahead and did all of my teaching rounds for the whole year in February when I was only about 20wks pregnant so it was easy to do.

It is doable, but just try not to overlaod yourself, and maybe do just a few subjects part time to start with when bubs is due/born.

Are there many people doing teaching degrees or grad dip ed's? How are you finding the grad dip ed workload? My husband is doing his BA externally and wanting to do the grad dip ed in 2007 but it looks pretty full on....can you do it part time?

Brooke - well done with the decision to go back full time, I know its daunting but its best to get it over & dne with I say! Next year I am full time aswell, 4 subjects per semester a ewll as 2x 5wk block of teaching prac so I will be very busy! I have managed to negotiate with the school I will be teaching at to have more flexible hours and days though so I might start early doing just one day a week and then only a 3wk block later on, which would be great!

xxxCaz

Pietta Guest

Oh brooke it is so do-able and you will fall straight back into it. I must admit it is nice to have time to myself at uni IYKWIM.

Good Luck and congrats on the decision.

I am always happy to help out!! Studying and being a Mum are both two really rewarding and challenging things to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast