Thread: Teen Pregnancy

Default Teen Pregnancy

Hi

I am doing some research for my sister. She is 16 and has found out that she is pregnant. Essentially she will be doing it on her own - the father has said he will be around but they broke up before she found out about the baby.

What we are trying to find out is if there are better hospitals than others that will cater to teens/young mums.

Are there any special services / programs run by other companies to help teens / young mums

And from our perspective in helping her what different challenges she will face physically and emotionally during the pregnancy and what we can do to support her.

I had a baby 8.5 months ago but since I am 26 and married my perspective will obviouslt be very different to hers and we want to be able to give her as much help as possible.

As much info you can give us will really help

thanks!

Hi Meli,

Most maternity hospitals have programs for young/teen mums, so when she books in to see the midwife, they should give her alot of info on programs that the hospital offers for her, some hospitals also do teen/young mum antenatal classes too so she can do that with people around her age.

You sound like a fantastic sister and i think the main thing you can do is be there for her if she needs a shoulder or someone to talk to, i am sure she will be overwhelmed at the thought of raising a baby on her own at such a young age.

The Westmead hospital has a service for mothers aged 12-20 so if you're near there she would be able to access that. Thier phone number is 9845 5555 and she can ask to be put through to the ante natal clinic.

Also the RPA has a young mothers program as do most of the Women's hospitals. You could also try contacting the Family Planning Clinic for advice and resources.

AFAIK young mums need to be extra sure to eat enough of the right (nutritious) foods whan they are pregnant because thier bodies are still growing as well as growing a baby.
    I geuss that like any other pregnant woman she will need your support especially after the baby arrives because being a single mum is a tough job no matter how old you are.

There are a couple of women on bellybelly who have had children as teenagers - hopefully they will see this and be able to offer you thier perspective and advice.

Melody Guest

Hi Meli,

Unfortunately I cant really help on details regarding hospitals & programs but I will offer some support info.

My sister was 16 when she fell pregnant (she is now 33) & we have talked a lot about what it was like for her over the years. The overwhelming memory she has is a regret at being smothered. It would have been far better for her had we empowered her with love rather than smother her with it. For example, rather than taking the tact "I'm older & I think it would be best if you did it this way" make a point of saying "Here are some books & info I found helpful, read it & tell me what you think.... your instincts are good & I know you will do fine"

That is all a really hodge podge way of explaining it & i hope it makes sense.

Good luck

With the hospitals, most have programs for young mums-to-be. I fell pregnant iwht my DD when i was 17 and had her when i was 18. My hospital had a program called 'early starters' for pregnant woman aged 13-20. It pretty good because i was around people my own age and felt a lot more comfortable and felt i wasn't alone.

Sometimes it's a bit hard emotionally because you sometimes come across people who think they know better than you(maybe they do, but thats not the point) Tell your sister to aknowledge the advice they are giving her but if she doesnt like then she doesn't have to do it.

It's a big learning experience. But i don't really think it's any different if you were 15 or 30 because first time mums are always going to be scared and always have to learn. I'm 19 and pregnant with #2 and i'm still scared, even though i've been there before.

She'll probably get a lot of people looking at her funny especially the older people and may even get some nasty comments, but tell her to ignore them, they don't matter.

I'm sure she'll be a great mother. Just by carrying her child, she already is.

Does anyone know of any support groups around the Byron Bay/Tweed Heads area for young mums (I am 17, almost 18, and 33 weeks pregnant)???

Your hospital might have a list? Or a community health centre?

butterfly_kisses1 Guest

i had ryan when i was 17 i went and did the whole antenatal classes i just went to what "older" people would of gone to and they really show you alot of respect because you are getting out there and taking responsibility

hi, maybe you could also ask at the hospital about a young mums support group?
    i found that to be one of the best things that helped me because it was only for younger mums/mums-to-be and we were all going through the same things.
    Daisy

Melly, why don't you tell your sister about BellyBelly?

Meli,
    You are going to be great support for her.
    You sound like a wonderful caring person. All the best

Lady_Bug Guest

My sister is 17 and due on the 24th of October. I am getting her on here just so she talk about the whole thing with other people than just my mum. Its a great way from her to get any fears and questions out in the open without feeling silly or "too young"

It is an excellent way Lady_Bug as age is removed from an internet forum unless you look for it (I have it in my signature rofl). What I'm getting at is that we all talk and respect each other on the same level as we can't see age, race, religion etc. It is a great place for stuff like that!