Thread: Couple of questions

frugal Guest

Default Couple of questions

I have a couple of questions (and was unsure where to post, since it's IVF and male fertility related)..

Male fertility q: If I remember correctly, they can only look for sperm the ONE time with DH, as he has azoospermia (no sperm). The FS said they are just starting a new procedure that's experimental at this stage, going in again, pulling out the insides of his testies looking for "fat" bits that might have a higher chance of having sperm in it.. but other than going through all that, it's a once-only deal.

IVF q: If we only get one shot at it, what does that mean for the IVF cycle? Is it down to just how many eggs they can get, how much of DH's sperm they can get.. how many get fertilised and grow to 5 days? Does that mean they would consider putting in multiples if this is our one and only chance? (I'm not sure how I feel about that yet though.)

Thanks for this.. having a "down" day today..

Frugal.

Hi Frugal, just wanted to give you a

Not sure in regard to your male fertility question, as I haven't heard about the new experiment. We will be doing a diagnostic biospy as a next step.

In regard to your IVF question, my understanding is that during your first IVF cycle they will use your DHs sperm to fertilise all mature eggs using the ICSI method. that a few of them will grow into nice embryos. They will then transfer 1 or 2 embryos and if there are any left, then they would freeze them. If your 1st IVF cycle is not successful then they would do a FET with the frozen embryos.
    My understanding also is that they will freeze any sperm, which has not been used for the 1st IVF cycle. So if you have to go through another stim. cycle, your DH doesn't have to go through another procedure. However, I think the success of freezing sperm depends on the amount and quality of sperm.
    So I don't think it necessarily means you only have one shot at IVF.

I hope that makes a bit of sense. I am sure there are a lot of other ladies here who can give you better information.

Look after yourself, I know how hard it is to stay positive. You are allowed to have some 'down' days.

BTW - I tried to send you a pm, but I think your mailbox is full.

frugal Guest

Hi Kristine, Thank you for the .. it's been one of those days today (and yesterday too if I'm honest). I think I need to get out of the house today and go for a walk.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I'll get more than one shot at IVF. DH and I have little bets on what his issue is. I'm betting obstructive, and he's betting on genetic cause. lol I still havn't told anyone about this except the people on this forum. I don't have any RL friends and my Mum moved away, so I feel a bit lonely lately..

So, before I start crying and getting my eyes all puffy, I better get out for that walk and get back into reality for a bit. Thank you again.

PS: Mailbox emptied now.

Awww frugal... Big Hugs.

I'm really not familiar with issues to do with MF problems, but I really want to encourage you to keep your chin up. You can't worry about things that haven't happened yet, so get informed, and if you don't think you have enough info, keep asking until you do.

It's a hard road, I agree. Even though I have 'Friends' there are none I can just call to talk to. I have no friends that I can lean on or even discuss any of this with. I wish I did, but that's why you ladies in here are so great. I haven't made any connections here yet, but there is ALWAYS someone to talk to and I'm grateful for that!

frugal Guest

Thank you!

I finally told my Mum and I feel lots better about it all now. (She's strangely positive about it all. lol) Hopefully tomorrow will be a much better day! Thank you girls so much.

Hi Frugal,

My DH has the same problem - No sperm.

We are half way through our IVF cycle now and they will be going in to lok for sperm next week.

We have been told they will inject the sperm using ICSI and see how many fertilise, my clinic will only put one embryo in if you are under 38 years old. If we get any extras then they will freeze them.

They originally thought DH had a genetic problem but that was ruled out after waiting 7 weeks for the results!!! We arent sure why he has no sperm, fingers crossed they will find out when they get in there.

Goodluck love x

frugal Guest

Hi Amy,

It's wonderful news that it's not genetic in your DH's case. That increases the odds of getting sperm greatly! 7 weeks?! Argh, our next FS appointment is at the 6 week mark, and I figured they'd be sure to be in by then.

Thanks for the info. I figured they wouldn't put in two.. and I think I'm ok with that to be honest. I asked DH what he thought and he likes the idea of two, but I think the reality would be totally hard work and stressful. Since we are only planning ONE pregnancy (ever!! lol) the idea of two sounds appealing in that aspect. Still, ya never know.. might change my mind later on. It's been known to happen.

Having a MUCH better day today. Thank you all so much for the and just replying means so much to me right now.

Good to hear you feeling better love x