thread: HRT FET any advice???

Mar 2007

HRT FET any advice???

We're contemplating our first HRT cycle as low stim FET (gonal F) just doesn't seem to be getting the desired results. The protocol will be oestrogen tablet 3x day; BT/scan approx day 10; if all OK, switch to prog pessaries 3x day; FET after 7 days; continue prog pessaries 3x day to week 12 if BFP.

Jan - text book gonal F stim FET ... BFN
    Feb - tried to do a natural cycle because we couldn't fit blood tests/scans around our social plans (whoops, not meant to have a life while doing IVF!!) ... body didn't co-operate so FET was cancelled
    Mar - gonal F stim, body went totally haywire, oestrogen went sky high, then dropped back to baseline around day 12 with no ovulation in sight so FET was cancelled
    Apr? - now the clinic are saying I should have a cycle off because they don't have much of a clue what's going on and think my body needs a rest ...

I'm not too happy with that suggestion because we just had a "rest" in Feb. A month off will mean 3 months without even getting a crack at doing a FET. I'm struggling to be patient ... and losing the battle! I'd like to go straight into a HRT cycle if/when AF arrives and I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't. There are three possible outcomes:
    1. Hormones behave, FET goes ahead, BFP
    2. Hormones behave, FET goes ahead BFN
    3. Hormones don't behave and it gets cancelled - but not even trying = cancelled anyway
    (I suppose there is a risk that the clinic will say "I told you so" and insist on a month off if hormones don't behave)

We don't know much about HRT protocol so I would love to hear any advice/experiences that will help us make a decision. Can you do back to back HRT or do they make you take a month off in between? If you're doing HRT ... what's the reason you're doing that protocol? Have you had cancelled cycles with this protocol? How bad (messy) is it compared to injections?

Thanks for any advice and for sticking with me throughout this "vent".

Aug 2006
    Melbourne

Can you do back to back HRT or do they make you take a month off in between?

i've never had a problem doing back to back cycles while on HRT unless i have had a HCG reading then i have had to wait for my levels to go back to 0 and sometimes this has required a D&C after a loss.

If you're doing HRT ... what's the reason you're doing that protocol?

My cycles were very erratic, they would go from 28 days to 56 days, ovulation was not detected even with high LP showing, i required may BT and scans, sometimes i try a natural cycle but they usually convert on CD20 as still no O.

Have you had cancelled cycles with this protocol?
    No i haven't and cant remember hearing of anyone who has but i may be wrong.

How bad (messy) is it compared to injections?
    if you dont mind the Pessaries then you will be ok, for me they seem to give me thrush or irritate, sometimes i have been known to get a UTI from using them, so i personally avoid. (last time i was on 4 a day!)

I would like to add that i did get three BFP from HRT cycles! sadly they ended in MC but due to other reasons.

I hope that helps you with your cycle. GL

Mar 2007

Thanks so much for your response Loula. You've made me feel less alone as we traipse through the variety of protocols. I haven't stuck my head in here for a while, but it doesn't take long to be reminded of all the very many patient and positive people who are in here.

Good luck with your journey.