Thread: IVF Bill

Default IVF Bill

HI girls,

I got home today and had my IVF bill in the mail. Just trying to work out what is what.

As this is our first cycle, we havent hit the safety net yet.

Ive been onto the medicare website and it said the benefit for both of our item numbers was 75%. Does this mean we will get 75% of what we are paying on that item number back?

Aim x

You get the % back on the scheduled fee, which is set by medicare and generally lower (and sometimes much lower) than what the doctors actually charge.

Oh no, the scheduled fee is onlt $2940 and our doc is charging $6250 + $750 for ICSI + all the other tests

Hey amz im not much help because i have to pay for our cycles on our first BT day which is the full mount quoted and then they automatically put it through to medicare and my rebate goes in the bank. Could it possibly be that they only charge you what you will be out of pocket? rather then paying all the money then getting some back? Give them a call about it. I hope your doing well xxxx

You should get a bit more back for the part that takes you over the threshold. I'm not entirely sure how the system is working now after the changes.

Hi Amy - I think I'm at the same place as you - I haven't got all of the bills for my most recent round yet, but my second ended up being about $4500 out of pocket. The costs have gone up a lot - my first was about $3000! This includes all of the consults, medication, anaesthetist, etc - I don't have any private insurance. It took me ages to get my head around how the billing worked. You'll probably get several separate bills - a 'refundable' and a 'non-refundable', a doctors bill, an anaesthetist bill, and one for meds. Of the big one you'll get about $4500, and about $450 from the $750. It won't take you long to reach the threshold!

My frozen transfers cost about $1250 out of pocket. Not as bad, but still not cheap

Hey Kass,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I submitted everything to medicare the other day. Its looks like we are going to be out of pocket about $4700. We are waiting to see what my private health cover will cover probably SFA.

Aim x