Thread: Can someone tell me about Judaism??

Default Can someone tell me about Judaism??

Hi

I have an assesment for TAFE and it is a group assessment on Judaism.. (I posted a similar msg in Buddhism, because it was going to be on that!)..

There are 7 Q's in total relating to food, medical ethics, special rituals, etc.. We are all doing 1 question each and then doing the rest togther.. Anyway, the Q's I have chosen to research are: Special rituals, religious or other & Role of family and community..

Q's have to be referenced, so if someone can recommend a good book or website that would be great, otherwise I would be happy to hear about the religion in general..

TIA

I am Jewish (basically what is called ultra-orthodox), so I guess that makes me qualified to answer some questions

There are a lot of general knowledge websites I can refer you to, but I'm not quite sure exactly what your question is - i.e. special rituals in relation to what? could you be a bit more specific. You are welcome to PM me in more detail and I can write back to you with some sources for referencing also.

In general, the Torah, particularly Leviticus, covers most of the instructions on things like food, family purity, communal living etc. but Yael is right, the scope of the question you have asked is huge, there 613 "laws" in the Torah and all could be said to be part of community and have rituals associated to them depending how you presented it and that's just the basics - more could be added depending upon whether you are investigating Reform, Orthodox, Karite etc. forms of Judaism - some specifics will help narrow it down - i.e. can you post the actual question. As for books to reference, the first five books of the bible (aka the Torah), particularly Leviticus, is THE primary source document; Orthodox Jews would also include the Talmud as a primary source.

There are no questions, we just have to 'discuss' the topics and present it... I realise how broad it is, I'm not sure if that makes it easier or harder.. Lots of info, just not sure what to go with.. I might have a look at the 613 'laws' you mention in the torah..

Do you have any special rituals you practice? Maybe I could get more of a personal opinion then go from there?

Why don't you start with or perhaps even limit yourself the Festivals? They are a really important part of all forms of Judaism. The family and community will normally make their whole year revolve around these and they are foundational aspects of Jewish faith.

Purim (Festival of Lots)
    Pesach (Passover)
    Shavuot (Pentecost)
    Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year)
    Yom Kippur (Day Of Atonement)
    Succot (Tabernacles)
    Simchat Torah (Rejoicing Of The Law)
    Chanukah (Festival of Lights)
    Shabbat (Sabbath)
    Last edited by Yeddi; October 20th, 2010 at 09:08 AM.

That's a great idea.. Thanks to everyone who replied and Pm'd me ... Now I just have to find the motivation to start the assessment.