Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for knitters to help knit for kids

Default Looking for knitters to help knit for kids

Hi all,

I am just setting up a new knitting project where a group of 20 knitters from around Australia each knit 7cm of blanket from leftover yarns and together make a snughgly warm rug for an underprivaledged child. It is meant to be a fun charity project wher very little time and money from each person can go together to make something wonderful.

I just thought there might be a few Mums in here that would be interested in helping out. So far all the participants are Mums who want to help out a child in need.

The exact charity hasn't been decided yet - it will be selected by a group poll when we near completion of the rug, potentially anglicare (foster kids) or the salvation army (for homeless families or kids at womens shelters etc.)

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Last edited by Trillian; April 21st, 2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: removing link - please refer to forum guidelines.

this sounds great,

good on you

I would love to join in but I am not a great knitter, infact I have really never knitted anything at all and would be worried that I would not do a good job, but I really wanted to say that I think its a great thing you are doing,

My mum works for anglicare and they are a fantastic charity they really do give back to the community, and are very children focused, my mum does alot of work for the under privlidged children in the notrthern suberbs of Adelaide.

good luck with it.

I would love to do this. I did squares with my Year 5 and 6 class 2 years ago to make a blanket for orphans in Moldova, some of the squares were a little dodgy but even the boys got into it.
    What ply wool ?

Would love to help what wool etc and measurements?

Count me in! I have been looking for a charity that does this. I posted a question about this a few weeks ago and found some ideas but not much to go off.

Anyone know whats happing with this? I have needles and wool ready and raring to go

Me too!

pebbles2820 Guest

count me in too. Just need instructions?

Maybe we should look into it ourselves if we don't hear back?

Oh bugger - I wish I could knit - I am so bad at stuff like that. I think its agreat idea that you girls start your own project if you don't hear back - good on you!

Hi girls
    I can't wait any longer (can you tell I have very little patience LOL ) I'm going to take the bull by the horns. I am happy to organise this if everyone else is happy with that.
    Please feel free to tell me your suggestions
    I think 10x10cm squares probably 8 ply wool with 4mm needles is the most common type of wool and needles.
    I Think the Salvo's do something similar for the homeless and they get groups to donate their squares and I think Oxfam do something as well with the knitted blanket thing for children in developing countries. I will look into it and let you guys know whats happening.

Stay tuned.

pebbles2820 Guest

Sounds good to me, I'll start tonight, and wait patiently for further instructions.

We did it at school for an orphanage in the former soviet union and it was 20cm x 20cm in 8 ply with 4mm needles so that sounds about right Spunky. I am keen if you want to organise it, I am flat out atm

Hi again I had a look around and I found a site that I think Jgal was talking about at the start of this post. The way they do it is to knit a square and then send it on to the next person and so on. The only problem i see with this is it would take a year to complete a blanket and the postage would become a bit on the expensive side towards the end of the blanket. I was thinking we do the bigger sqaures as Christine suggested (20x20cm) with the 4mm needles and 8 ply wool. Than we could send our squares along to one person who can sew them together and then forward the completed blanket on to the charity. To cover postage of the completed blanket we could all put in a $1 stamp when we send our squares to the person who will sew them together. How does this sound?

pebbles2820 Guest

This sounds like a great idea spunkymonkies. I think I'll start with purple.

That sounds like a great idea, I will start knitting! Thanks for finding that spunkymonkies.

Thanks for your replys ladies

We have a choice in what we can do. We can do as i suggested in my last post or I have just found out that the Salvation army has a campaign going called "Knitting for the Homeless" it requires 18x18cm squares and we just take them to our local Salvation army store or church which ten forwards them on and they are made into blankets for the homeless. Which would you prefer? I have information on option 2 if you need to know more.

I don't mind which option we go with, I will leave it in your capable hands.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast